Almost 3 Decades of Same UN Criteria!

by Voyager 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Voyager
    Voyager

Almost 3 Decades Same UN Criteria

This UN document plainly states:

1. These rules were (reviewed) by the General Assembly in (1968) in resolution 1296, which became the basis for establishing (criteria) for the (participation) of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) at the United Nations, which (REMAINED IN USE FOR ALMOST THREE DECADES)!

So from 1968 until 1996 (EVERYTHING) remained the (SAME)! In 1996 there was a review and arrangements for NGOs at the United Nations as a whole were updated and adopted by ECOSOC resolution 1996/31. This resolution is the (CURRENT) basis for partnership between NGOs and the United Nations!

So indeed if there were any changes, then they would have been made in 1996, 5 full years (before) the Watchtower claimed that there were changes taking place in or around 2001. If the Watchtower had any question about resolution 1996/31, then they should have disassociated themselves in 1996 and not suddenly in 2001.

So again we see, that there were (NO) changes in criteria in 2001 when the Watchtower claimed that the United Nations had used (language) that they could not subscribe to. And in 1991 when they joined, the United Nations was (STILL) using the (SAME) criteria for NGOs as the criteria from 1968!

Also, under the heading at the bottom of the page: Current Legislation: We read, "Such arrangements may be made with international organizations and, where appropriate, with national organizations (after consultation) with the Member of the United Nations concerned."

If the Watchtower Society had any (questions) what so ever, as to what they were getting themselves into, they (could) have had (consultation) by a Member of the United Nations, if they had any doubts about the criteria, or the United Nations membership as a whole! But after all, we were told the (Library Card Story,----right?)

In the first paragraph under the heading: Current Legislation, we read, "The preamble of the UN Charter begins with "WE, THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS". This has come to mean both Member States and (civil society). More details are given in the article 71 of the Charter, which recognizes NGOs (LEGALLY AND FORMALLY AS PARTNERS) within the UN system!

The Watchtower even published the Charter of the United Nations in their literature.

**********************************************************************************************************

Watchtower/1995/Oct/1st/page-3/

Fifty

Years of Frustrated Efforts

"WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, . . ."?Preamble to the charter of the United Nations.

OCTOBER 24, 1995, marks the 50th anniversary of the United Nations. ( All 185 current member States are committed to the organization?s original principles and goals as expressed in that charter:) to maintain international peace and security; to suppress acts of aggression that threaten world peace; to encourage friendly relations among nations; to protect the fundamental freedoms of all peoples without discrimination based on race, sex, language, or religion; and to achieve international cooperation in solving economic, social, and cultural problems.

*************************************************************************************************************

http://www.un.org/ga/president/55/speech/civilsociety1.htm

http://www.un.org/ga/president/55/speech/civilsociety1.htm

THE UN DOCUMENTS ARE LENGTHY, SO HERE ARE SOME MAIN POINTS:

1.2 Background on the relationship with civil society

Based on the Charter provisions, both in the preamble and article 71, the United Nations has had a relationship with civil society since its establishment. The first NGOs were granted consultative status by the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) as early as in 1948. The first set of rules on this relationship was adopted in 1950 by the ECOSOC in resolution 288 B(X). These rules were reviewed by the General Assembly in 1968 in resolution 1296, which became the BASIS FOR ESTABLISHING CRITERIA for the PARTICIPATION of NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS (NGOs) at the United Nations, WHICH REMAINED IN USE FOR ALMOST THREE DECADES. The resolution also provided the framework for the funds and programmes of the United Nations to appoint NGO liaison officers and to have their own procedures for NGO access.

In 1993, Member States decided that the resolution 1296 needed to be reviewed in order to update and accommodate changes since 1968. The relationship between NGOs and the United Nations had developed, as NGOs had become more present, active and influential at the international level, and more directly engaged in the intergovernmental processes. The ECOSOC decision 1993/214 of February 1993 established the parameters and mandate for a review. The review took place from ( February 1993 to July 1996,) under the auspices of a Working Group comprised of Member States.

In (1996), ECOSOC concluded this major review. The arrangements for NGOs at the United Nations as a whole were updated and adopted by ECOSOC resolution 1996/31. This resolution is the current basis for partnership between NGOs and the United Nations.

1.3 Current legislation

Partnership arrangements between NGOs and the United Nations are outlined in the following documents. The preamble of the UN Charter begins with "WE, THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS ". This has come to mean both Member States and civil society. More details are given in the article 71 of the Charter, which recognizes NGOs legally and formally as partners within the UN system. The article states that the ECOSOC may make arrangements for both national and international NGOs:

The Economic and Social Council may make suitable arrangements for consultation with non-governmental organizations which are concerned with matters within its competence. Such arrangements may be made with international organizations and, where appropriate, with national organizations (after consultation) with the Member of the United Nations concerned. (UN Charter, Article 71: Untitled; Arrangements for consultation with non-governmental organizations)

The review process of NGO arrangements, held in (1993-96), resulted in ECOSOC resolution 1996/31, (which defines the criteria) and principles for establishing consultative relationships for NGOs. Resolution 1996/31 defines NGOs "any international organization which is not established by a governmental entity or intergovernmental agreement". It also says that organization refers to NGOs at the national, subregional, regional and international levels, expect where expressly stated otherwise. The resolution establishes three categories of consultative status for NGOs. General consultative status is for large international NGOs whose are of work covers most issues on the ECOSOC agenda. Special consultative status is for NGOs that have special competence in a few fields of the ECOSOC activity. The third category, which is inclusion on the roster, is for NGOs whose competence enables them to make occasional and useful contributions to the work of the UN and that are available for consultation upon request. NGOs on the roster may also include organizations in consultative status with a specialized agency or other UN body. The resolution also (formulated guidelines for written statements, oral statements and attendance) during meetings.

The applications of NGOs for consultative status or roster status, or requests for change of status, are reviewed by the ECOSOC Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations, which is the only intergovernmental Committee in the UN that focuses exclusively on relations with NGOs. The Committee, which is responsible for monitoring the relationship between NGOs and the UN, is composed of 19 Member States and meets annually. The Committee (holds annual consultations) with NGOs about this relationship, and (transmits reports of such consultations) to ECOSOC for action.

The resolution further decided that NGOs can be invited to participate in all international conferences and their preparatory processes convened by the United Nations. As a rule, NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC are accredited for participation; merely need to express their interest to participate to become accredited. Other NGOs wishing to participate (can apply) through the respective conference secretariat. It was decided that accreditation processes are the prerogative of Member States, exercised through the respective preparatory committee:

Non-governmental organizations in general consultative status, special consultative status and on the Roster, that express their wish to attend the relevant international conferences convened by the United Nations and the meetings of the preparatory bodies of the said conferences shall as a rule be accredited for participation. Other non-governmental organizations wishing to be accredited (may apply) to the secretariat of the conference for this purpose? (Article 42 of ECOSOC resolution 1996/31) .

• Honesty
    Honesty

"If I were you I would be very careful in stating the WTBTS 'joined' the U.N. We did not 'join' the U.N. We registered for a library pass because one man, he died, told us that we had to register to get a library pass but then another man, after the first man died, told us we didn't have to register. This is a non-issue but the apostates have somehow got hold of this information and are running with it and lying that the WTBTS are hypocritical, which everyone knows we are not, just so they can mislead people from Jehovah's organisation. Yes, so you see it is all a misunderstanding that got blown out of proportion by the apostates."

Hey Ted J. and Danny S.,

This is a direct quote from one of your strong arm guys in the Service Dept. But if you thieves want to sue me for slander go ahead. I have been waiting for the court summons a long time now and still your dungy WT God has not had the courage to call down justice on my apostate head. What is the matter with your Watch Tower God? Has he lost his ability to speak? Call upon him to eradicate all of us opposers and JW apostates before he becomes an even more laughingstock to the peoples of earth. Go ahead, call on him. Is the WT God asleep? Surely, if he is a true god he would have put the opposers in their proper place by now. The WT God is asleep or else he would have offed me by now for dissing him. Wake him up, if you can. Where is your Legal Dept.? Are they also are asleep? I should have been served the summons disputing my apostate statements by now. Just as I thought. BS walks and truth talks.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Honesty,

Have you learnt nothing through your time in the organisation?

Is the WT God asleep?

He's gone to the privy!

Ian

• badboy
    badboy

PERHAPS HE HAS GONE ON A LONG JOURNEY!

CAN'T IMINAGE WHERE!

• Sith
    Sith

Dansk, thanks for reminding me of that scripture. Can't remember where it is, but it's one of the funniest things in the Bible

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Good work Voyager,

Besides the "rules" governing participation by NGO's "(REMAINED IN USE FOR ALMOST THREE DECADES)! "

you help verify another issue: Was the Watchtower simply "registered" with the DPI (as they claim) or was it a "partner" with the UN?

.3 Current legislation

Partnership arrangements between NGOs and the United Nations are outlined in the following documents. The preamble of the UN Charter begins with "WE, THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS ". This has come to mean both Member States and civil society. More details are given in the article 71 of the Charter, which recognizes NGOs legally and formally as partners within the UN system. The article states that the ECOSOC may make arrangements for both national and international NGOs:

Then your quote of the Watchtower/1995 makes it clear what they WT knew

Fifty Years of Frustrated Efforts

"WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, . . ."?Preamble to the charter of the United Nations.

They carefully omit the fact that "WE THE PEOPLES" (quoted in the WT) includes " both Member States and civil society", as the UN document clearly shows.

How could they research and publish the above article without nullifying their best argument, "we didn't know"?

How can they now make their defense: "we were only registered" as an NGO when it was clearly a "partnership" with the UN?

Even if they plead it was an ignorant mistake, they should all be dealt with judicially as any one of us would be for a like mistake. Perhaps this is why they try to minimize their PARTNERSHIP.

Jst2laws

• Confession
    Confession

Having come to understand that my family and I have (for more than 60 years) been subject to a cult, high-control group, etc. only for the last seven months or so, I'll give you my take on this issue. I've thoroughly researched the Watchtower/NGO issue, and certainly see the irony. Similarly I can see why current Watchtower adherents would be able to make a case that all this hubbub is opportunistic faultfinding. But...

We are talking about an organization that itself demands its followers exercise an unusual degree of caution regarding association or affiliation. An organization that--perhaps more than all others--emphasizes separateness from "the world," even denying JWs certain privileges for their association with those they call "worldly." So I AM going to hold the WT Society's feet to the fire on this. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Perhaps better put, what's good for the rank and file should certainly be good for those who purport to be the true God's "sole channel of communication."

What would the Society's Service Department have to say about an individual Witness having such a close, official affiliation with, say, a certain Catholic church for so many years? And which is more reprehensible from the Society's perspective? A single church--or The Wild Beast itself?

Do I think the NGO thing would, under any usual circumstances, be a big deal? Not at all. BUT when it's the organization that ITSELF demands the type of blind, staunch separation from its "little people," they deserve to be exposed for gross hypocrisy.

• FairMind
    FairMind

Two things here:

1.) I believe the WTBTS in their NGO status did more than reference the UN library. I recall reading on a previous thread months back that they had sat in on some of the UN sub-committees. Anyone else recall this?

2.) The WTBS has no problem saying whatever they want (true or not) about any situation involving itself down to the lowliest disapproved publisher.

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts

By their own admission of becoming an NGO they have, according to their own rules, become guilty of apsotacy. There is no way to spin it. Even if it was only for a library card, they still are apostate. Their words, not mine.

January 1,1979 questions from readers:

In joining the YMCA as a member a person accepts or endorses the general objectives and principles of the organization. He is not simply paying for something he receives, such as when buying things being sold to the public at a store. (Compare 1 Corinthians 8:10; 10:25.) Nor is his membership merely an entry pass, as when a person buys a theater ticket. Membership means that one has become an integral part of this organization founded with definite religious objectives, including the promotion of interfaith. Hence, for one of Jehovah?s Witnesses to become a member of such a so-called "Christian" association would amount to apostasy.

Some individuals have on occasion not become members but have paid a onetime admission fee, viewing this as simply paying for a commercial service available. Even in this regard it is wise to consider whether this course will adversely affect the consciences of others.?1 Cor. 8:11-13.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Sorry, but to me this seem to make sense: the WTS joint in 1991 (that was when the criteria were unchanged).
    In 1996 something changed (and they did not notice).

In 2001, we apostate pointed to the contradiciton and they left and said that they could not stick to these changed criteria.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit