What does a PO do?

by Shawn 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Presiding Overseership hasn't been rotational since at least the 80's. It is the only local-congregation assignment for an elder that requires approval by the WTS; other positions (Thecratic Ministry School Overseer, Watchtower Conductor, etc.) can be filled by decision of the local body.

As mentioned, the PO is a first among equals, without any extra vote. However, just like in any organization, chairmanship does make for additional power and cotnrol. Chairing meetings, setting agendas, processing correspondence, etc. gives the PO the ability to bring up issues he wants to bring up, and bury issues he wants to bury.

The PO is also the clearinghouse for judicial information. That does not mean he is on every judicial committee; but he is the one in charge of informing the elders that there is a judicial matter, ensuring that a committee is appointed, etc. Again, by careful timing and selectve disclosure of information, the PO can affect the process.

• minimus
    minimus

"Presiding Overseership"????

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Flea... "the full of shit" refers specifically to being an elders kid..... makes the whole JW thing take another dimension of hellish-ness. I know --- I lived it, pal. Right or wrong I was the "model" and coundnt get in a dark corner if I had to. I will let the "hillbilly" crack slide... obviously you dont no me from Adam or what I am about so I will extend a cyber- pint to you freind.

I got got about the time the rotation thing ended...sorry for the mis- informantion.

~Hill

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

He chairs and co-ordinates the body of elders and oversees the service meting and assigns the parts - he is usually kept informed of everything = but he is not the old fashioned company servant -or at least he is not supposd to be

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i was involved in a jc that didnt have the p.o on it and the jc made the right decision and the p.o. without knowing all the facts made his own decision and acted and disciplined accordingly...terry senior his name was..p.o in ayr

when i was p.o i didnt stink ...not in any sense of the word

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

I hear ya Hillbilly......and now understand.

I was never the P,O Son ..but the old man was Secretary and Field service overseer...yeah it was difficult.Expectations were high that much i do remember

Have a Pint of London Pride on me mate!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit