THE IMPORTANCE OF MAKING OUT A WILL

by Dansk 32 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I didn't know you could give people money in your will conditionally, i.e., that they give nothing to the WTS. I thought once they gained control of their inheritance, the decision was theirs unless it was a trust and the money was doled out by a third party such as a bank or a guardian or attorney.

Remember, too that some states in the US have laws preventing a person from totally disinherting their children or spouse. In light of that it would be good to have a good attorney help you draft your will. Be candid about what your utlimate goal is, making sure the WTS doesn't get a penny.

Mulan, has a point too, many people before they die, give their family part of their inheritance, family heirlooms and cash.

Consider giving your money to charities whose ideals you support, especially if family/friends really don't need your money.

In the end, I figure a person's money is theirs to do with what they want even if it is misguided. After years of having my parents try and control me emotionally by disinherting me and reinstating me in the will every time I didn't lock step behind them, I finally just emotionally divorced myself from the idea that I would ever get a penny or want a penny from them.

Blondie (who has a will)

• Dansk
    Dansk

Like Gill, I live in the UK. House prices here have been rocketing these past few years. My own house is worth over double what I paid for it only 3 years ago. For my two JW daughters to gain access to my estate and then give donations to Watchtower would mean my two boys would have to leave this home and any money they received would mean they would be completely unable to purchase anything remotely similar. It would just be way out of their price range. There's no way on earth I'd allow Watchtower to pain my family and others any further, hence my will to prevent it.

In the UK children CAN be and ARE disinherited in parents' wills, which appears to be different to that in the USA (and Canada?). Some people here leave their fortunes to animal welfare and other charities (such as Watchtower ) rather than allow their families to benefit. Put another way, if a JW in the UK wrote in his/her will that they wanted Watchtower to benefit but not their disfellowshipped children and later the children contested the will does anyone really believe Watchtower would show pity and give the children something?! At the very least all the children could likely expect is the offer of a Bible study to mend their fallen ways!

Ian

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    Some people here have been completely disowned by witness family, but even those who haven't been "disfellowshipped" know where the money is going.

Exactly!

You know - I bet that only works one way round ! Lol

However, when she died she left her entire estate, which at the time was near enough 100.000 pounds to the WTBTS and a small amount of it to the congregation we were in

....there's a DIFFERENCE? At the end of the day, only the WTBTS benefit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit