THE IMPORTANCE OF MAKING OUT A WILL

by Dansk 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

This morning Claire and I saw our solicitor and finalised our wills, the originals being left in his care and keeping. I post this as a wake up call to anyone who hasn't yet made a last will and testament.

We have had to make sure that our two daughters, who are still active JWs, receive absolutely nothing because we all know that part of anything they would receive would be donated to the society. That cannot be allowed to happen. Our sons inherit everything when we are both dead - and rightly so as they have stood by us all their young lives.

If you haven't done so already, I strongly advise that you make out your own last will and testament. If you don't and you have relatives still connected to Watchtower they may well have a claim on your estate and will likely make a donation to the society. If things change in the future, i.e. one's relatives GENUINELY leave Watchtower, then one's will can always be altered to include the once estranged relative(s).

I cannot stress enough the importance of making out your will. Distant aunts, uncles and cousins may all make a claim against your estate on your death if you don't take legal advice and make out a will. Claire and I decided that never again will Watchtower make a single penny out of us and this is the surest way that it never happens. It really is wonderful to be free and also to know that our estate is watertight against Watchtower.

Ian

• under74
    under74

Good for you Ian...as of now I'd leave more debt than anything else but I'm pretty close to getting my mom to write out her will just to make sure my JW grandfather or cousins don't show up asking for their share if something happens to mom.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Under74,

just to make sure my JW grandfather or cousins don't show up asking for their share if something happens to mom.

You can bet your bottom dollar some relative WOULD ask for their share! Tell your dear mom to make out her will as soon as possible. Show her my message if you like. Really, it is so serious but people, in the main, tend to keep putting it off.

Love,

Ian

• under74
    under74

Thanks I will show her your post. She's pretty close to doing it already but she just needs an extra push. I don't care if she decides to give everything/anything she has to charity. I just know she doesn't want anything going to a JW relative so she needs to put it in writing so me and my siblings don't have to fight if something happens.

Thanks again Ian!

• kls
    kls

Great thought and post Dansk,i had mine done about 5 years ago and it is and was a big relief.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I would make a will, but I own absolutely nothing but the clothes on my back and the books on someone else's shelves. However I do have a life insurance policy with my company and have enclosed a letter saying that this money must only go the beneficiary and not be siphoned off to my estranged parents. It was funny though because I texted my father to say that I was making a will out but that I understood they couldnt receive anything from disfellowshipped persons. I got a VERY quick text back saying that they would be happy to receive anything of mine at my death etc! Its puzzling to me because they believe that anything of mine is tainted and could be demonised - everything except my money!

• Scully
    Scully

Can I leave all my assets to my children and all the debts to the Watchtower Society?

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Can I leave all my assets to my children and all the debts to the Watchtower Society?

It would be good if it could work!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

If there was a Watchtower article encouraging Witnesses to leave disfellowshipped people out of their will there would be an apostate outcry. Nuff said...

• Mulan
    Mulan
    If there was a Watchtower article encouraging Witnesses to leave disfellowshipped people out of their will there would be an apostate outcry

That wouldn't surprise me in the least. They already tell them how to include the WTS in their wills.

We have very few JW relatives so it isn't a concern for us. But I agree with what you are saying there............apostates would have a big outcry.

If I had JW children, I can't imagine leaving them out of my will, if I had a lot to leave behind that is. In this country, a will is easy to contest and if you leave them nothing, it gives cause for challenging the will. Best to leave them something.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit