Pray to Jesus to God or Both? (Not Just Yet Another Trinity Thread...)

by adelmaal 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

I just read another post that touched upon praying directly to Jesus and it reminded me of the other day at church. I don't know if it's just my JW roots or what but one of the men who said the prayer in church prayed directly to Jesus. He kept using Jesus' name in prayer speaking directly to him on our behalf, he brought out that no other name is higher than that of Jesus and when he closed he did so in the name of Jesus. It struck me as wierd! Praying directly to Jesus, exalting his name above that of God (Yahweh, Elohim, Jehovah, whatever your preference) and then praying in the name of Jesus.

What to you all think? If you do pray do you pray directly to God, Yahweh, Jehovah, the Lord, etc. in Jesus' name. Do you pray directly to a Godhead (including God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus) in Jesus' name? Do you pray to each individual on differing occasions depending on your mood? I'm curious.

What do you think the Bible encourages? Prayer to God in Jesus' name, prayer to Jesus or to God in Jesus' name or prayer to God and Jesus in Jesus' name?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

This is probably the thread you were referring to:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/90027/1.ashx

• M.J.
    M.J.

In general, I think, it's appropriate to go with the example set forth in the Bible, which is prayer addressed to the Father. In my church public prayer is always directed to the Father, although it's never stated that this is the way it should be. But I don't think it's wrong to address requests and prayer to the Son as per John 14:14.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

For the most part, regardless of all of the faults and hypocrisy of non thinking JWs, one thing is for certain, much of the information is correct. It is the "people factor" that has caused trouble.

Direct your prayers to the most high god which will judge all other Gods. His name is Jehovah (English) or if you wish, use the name Yahweh. The word "Elohim" simply means "God."

• yucca
    yucca

You can pray to God the father ,Jesus the son, holy Ghost . I like to talk to Jesus myself. Interesting is in Mark 3:29 says But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath no forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

• Honesty
    Honesty

*** Rbi8 John 5:22-24 ***
    22 For the Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son, 23 in order that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He that does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. 24 Most truly I say to YOU, He that hears my word and believes him that sent me has everlasting life, and he does not come into judgment but has passed over from death to life.

*** Rbi8 Hebrews 2:6-8 ***
    7 You made him a little lower than angels; with glory and honor you crowned him, and appointed him over the works of your hands. 8 All things you subjected under his feet.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Where's the biblical injunction against praying to anyone ?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I always address to the 'Father', which is what Jesus' prayers would indicate. I occasionally slip and use Jehovah [the old witness mindset], and I do regard that Jehovah might be appropriate OT name for the Father - although I think the scholars would think that Yahweh is closer.

I have not prayed to Jesus, although the prayers I hear from time to time on Christian radio seem to cross over the line from time to time and seem to be speaking to the Son.

The inferences of Christ seem to indicate that the witness thinking is at least flawed. After all Jesus did seem to indicate that if he was seen so was the Father. But at this moment I am not sure on the Trinity, and don't wish to jump in that direction on this thread.

Jeff

• Banshee
    Banshee

I usually pray to the Father....and usually I address Him as Heavenly Father and I pray to Him through Jesus. There are times, however, when I have felt moved to address Jesus directly; mostly in order to thank him for what he did for all mankind.

I don't see anything wrong with talking to Jesus but I wonder if maybe some churches focus so much on Jesus that it is nearly to the point of excluding the Father in prayer and worship.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I don't see anything wrong with talking to Jesus but I wonder if maybe some churches focus so much on Jesus that it is nearly to the point of excluding the Father in prayer and worship.

Good point, Banshee.

I think that Jw's almost forget about Jesus with the obsession with Jehovah so much. I think the same may be true on the other side of the coin as you mention.

I have tried to address the Father, but include frequent mention of Jesus and his sacrifice, something that as witnesses we never did except as a post-script "In Jesus name we pray". I have not spoken to Jesus himself, but have indicated often that surely Jesus hears this request and will send the Holy spirit to aid us.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit