Pray to Jesus to God or Both? (Not Just Yet Another Trinity Thread...)

by adelmaal 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I would have a very difficult time praying to a holy ghost.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

If you follow the Christian paradigm, how can you approach our Father, if you don't go through the Son? That being the case, what do YOU mean when you say you pray through the Son??

Do you pass through a manned hotel door and not at least give a nod to the consierge?

As for the Holy Ghost, I suspect Rom.8 would indicate that it's occasionally okay to holler "help me out here!", when we're struggling to find the words

Just a few thoughts, to add to the discussion.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Good point LittleToe. I used to end every prayer the same way, through your son jesus christ amen. I always felt that it was appropriate to pray through Jesus and saying that end piece covered me. But, what does it really mean to pray through Jesus? I'm sure I don't know but I will begin to think about it.

Perhaps, using LTs doorman analogy, as we're praying to God we can have a small side conversation with Jesus, you know, acknowledging that the's there and other small talk, and then continue on with our mission of praying to God.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

And I ask again, where's the biblical injunction against praying to anyone, at all ?

• Banshee
    Banshee

One of the scriptures that guides me to pray to the Father "through" Jesus or in the name of Jesus is Matt. 18:19,20 " 'Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.' " --New International Version

Here is another scripture that supports the idea of praying in Jesus' name. John 14:13,14 " 'And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.' " --New International Version

The apostle Paul also supports the idea of praying in the name of Jesus at Colossions 3:17 "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

For me personally, praying in the name of Jesus or through Jesus is acknowledging that he is The Way to the Father, that his role as Mediator is vital in my relationship with God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit