Can brothers wear "bow ties" instead of "ties"?

by JH 39 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Yesterday, a brother from another congregation gave the talk. The first thing that I noticed was that he was wearing a "bow tie" instead of a conventional tie.

He was also black. We don't see many black people in this town. Maybe it's a different style that they have...Anyways, I found it refreshing to see this.

Many seemed ill at ease seeing a him with a bow tie...

Maybe one day a brother will have a beard or goatee.....And why not?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It's not an unheard of, just a rarity. Some of our COs like them at times downunder! Bit like a mustache, eh?

• blondie
    blondie

I have seen brothers (black or white) in the Gilead class pictures with bow ties. But some elders love to make rules.

• JH
    JH

Years ago, about 25% of brothers had mustaches....Today, maybe 2 in the whole congregation...

We're not about to see goatees and beards, like in the song book

• donald
    donald

in our congertion..i got hauled in the back room for wearing a bollo tie....donald

• blondie
    blondie

Bolo ties are more likely to sneak by out West (US). I have seen it happen. I saw an elder wear cowboy boots on the stage during the Bible Highlights.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Nick Abrahamson wears one all the time. He's on the writing or service committee in Brooklyn. He looks so astute.

in our congertion..i got hauled in the back room for wearing a bollo tie....donald

You've got to be kidding me. What a bunch of bananna heads.

Dismembered

"Who are those guys?"

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i wore "day wear" bow ties for several years before i left the dubs. i love them (the bow ties). i think it's a lost art of gentility. no one really knew how to take them, but i had all the regular "privliges". i just wore them with confidence. i had the odd brother make lawyer jabs at me, but i would just ask him if he had something serious to talk with me about. lol. what a bunch of drones.

on a similar topic, i heard that gold-rimmed glasses are a no-no in the org. is this true?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've seen JW men wear bow ties.

The bow tie is very rare and is usually only seen on those with eccentric "fun" personalities or on black men who are swayed by the ideals of Luis Farrakhan. Were his glasses square in shape or more rounded? A bow tie with square glasses are a dead give away for a Farrakhan guy.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Some young buck Dubs had a hankerin for wearing the HUGE black and white wingtip shoes with a bow tie...

I think that is the Dub version of 501's and a t-shirt... really "out there" and rebellious but tolerable... the whole zuit suit thing. Especially with the young Spanish brothers.

Swing dancing was the other "acceptable" form of borderline rebellion....

What a joke... the things we used to use our mental faculties on...

I've noticed now the "cool" thing with the young buck Dubs is the Fast and the Furious Civic look alike cars, with all the cool graphics, NOS etc. And....they're TWO DOORS!.... must be driving the old school Dubs nutz..... hehehe...

u/d (of the zuit suit riot class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit