is it ilegal to DF someone for voting?

by Pleasuredome 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i was wondering, does anyone here know if there are any countries or states that would make it ilegal for a religious group to ex-communicate someone for voting or voting for a particular party?

• blondie
    blondie

If they deem that you voluntarily joined the group knowing that was their policy, I doubt it. Anyway I think voting is considered DAing yourself. It is all semantics.

Blondie

• FairMind
    FairMind

Not in the USA. A religious organization can have just about any rules it wants and if you don't play by the rules your out. Kind of like belonging to a private club. They don't say you can't vote, just that you can't vote and still be in the club.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Just like you cannot get married in the KH if the one your are marrying isn't a JW; but you can't get married in another church or you would get DF'ed.

• upside/down
    upside/down

So religions can violate your Civil Rights?

But don't ever dare to attack a religions CR's... right?

This is so messed up... I think I'll start my own religion....

u/d

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

In my jurisdiction there's a law "Any person who uses of threatens any ... temporal or spiritual injury, or causes or threatens to cause any detriment of any kind, to an elector in order to induce him to vote or refrain from voting... is guilty of a misdomeanor, and is liable to imprisonment for 9 months, or to a fine of $200...'

For a current JW, there's no chance of using such a law - it's privilaged behaviour. But if the elders were watching who was voting at a certain poling place, noting down numbers and then punishing those they saw there including long-since faded JW's, then there just may be a chance.

The judge in Vicki Boyer's case said in common law countries the free exercise provision does not extend to inhibiting the freedoms of non-believers. So, the freedom of ex/non-JW's from criminal behaviour (stalking, assault, threats about voting...) by JW's is (probably) not impinged by the free exercise provision. I suspect that's the case in the US too.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

You can approach this topic from another angle and that is that in some countries it is illegal to vote.

I know that the Society have indicated over the years that this is a conscience matter

w99 11/1
    In view of the Scriptural principles outlined above, in many lands Jehovah?s Witnesses make a personal decision not to vote in political elections, and their freedom to make that decision is supported by the law of the land. What, though, if the law requires citizens to vote? In such a case, each Witness is responsible to make a conscientious, Bible-based decision about how to handle the situation. If someone decides to go to the polling booth, that is his decision. What he does in the polling booth is between him and his Creator.

The November 15, 1950, issue of The Watchtower, on pages 445 and 446, said: ?Where Caesar makes it compulsory for citizens to vote . . . [Witnesses] can go to the polls and enter the voting booths. It is here that they are called upon to mark the ballot or write in what they stand for. The voters do what they will with their ballots. So here in the presence of God is where his witnesses must act in harmony with his commandments and in accordance with their faith. It is not our responsibility to instruct them what to do with the ballot.?

What if a Christian woman?s unbelieving husband insists that she present herself to vote? Well, she is subject to her husband, just as Christians are subject to the superior authorities. (Ephesians 5:22; 1 Peter 2:13-17) If she obeys her husband and goes to the polling booth, that is her personal decision. No one should criticize her.?Compare Romans 14:4.

Eyeslice

• fairy
    fairy

over here, in aussie land, its up to your conscience to vote.....so they cant really disfellowship you for doing something that is up to your conscience by their rules

• FairMind
    FairMind
    So religions can violate your Civil Rights?

Your civil rights have not been violated since you can still vote.

I know that the Society have indicated over the years that this is a conscience matter.

The Societies' statement that voting is a conscience matter is simply a way to protect them legally. If you are an active JW, try voting in an election and then letting the Elders know and see what happens. You might not be disfellowshipped for voting but you will shortly find yourself in a marked position. Afterwards, they will still find a way to get rid of you. If you don't believe me, try it!

• skyman
    skyman

After the 1999 Watchtower that was written to pacify the UN it became a big matter at my old congregation. We had one brother that was going to vote from now on and was very vocal about it. He felt vindicated that the Society had finally seen the light. Soon there after the C.O. came and gave us a talk that left no doubt in any one mind we are not suppose to vote here in the USA and there would be serious action taken if a brother taking the lead decided to vote. The Elders meeting it was restated that the article was written for legal reasons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit