update in the life of me

by tsunami_rid3r 28 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Dear tsunami,

I was given the same choice (well, not about hair). If I returned to the KH, I could live at home and finish my high school. I just couldn't do it. But I wish I could have, it would have been a good start in the world.

You are 18 years old! If you can swallow the b/s and get through school with a few more bux, power to ya! That is not being hypocritical, it's dealing with bad parenting in the way that is most beneficial to you, the 'child'. (not saying you are childish, just identifying that you=child, they=parents)

If you can't take it, then move out. You will be okay, I promise! Follow your gut.

I'm feeling for you, been there myself. Sending lots of support.

xo

tal

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Guess it depends on how much money you need. You *could* always get a part time job, if you don't already have one. That serves two purposes: you can pay your own bills AND you can't/don't have to go to the meetings.

CG

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I think this all boils down to what you are most comfortable with. You've had some good advice on both sides of the issue, and the ultimate decision is up to you.

I looked at your picture, and although we can't see the length of your hair in the back, I think it looks fine. I hope you don't mind me saying so, but you are so adorable! You look very huggable---and being a Gramma of eight---I can say that!! (not like I'm hittin' on ya or anything)

I wish you all the best in whatever decision you come to...

hugs,

Gramma Annie

• Daunt
    Daunt

Even by JW standards imho your hair isn't long.

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

the elder bitched about my sideburns

• defective light
    defective light

$20.00 per meeting? ......sounds like a mininum wage religion to me.....

let's see: 30 minutes to get ready for meeting (bath etc.)

20 minutes to get to meeting.

60-120 minutes for meeting

20 minutes to get home

equals = 3 hours an 10 minutes per meeting

divided by $20.00

equals = $6.45 per hour

Hold out for more.......consider pain and suffering!

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

I can imagine the conundrum of a position this puts you, a rather young person, in. You want/need the money, but don't want to make your parents unhappy, but also feel compromised. Perhaps there's a solution. Perhaps you could ask your parents a few discerning questions that will allow them to "see" themselves for who they are... and what they're doing. You could ask them:

1. What THEY would have thought of THEIR parents if they had put them in the same position, say, offering them $20 for every Catholic or Baptist sermon/bible class they attended?

2. What would THEY think about THEIR parents for doing so? Knowing what they know now, particularly about how Christ was, what SHOULD they have thought about THEIR parents for making such an offer?

3. WHY do they feel FREE to put such a choice on YOU?

4. Will they still RESPECT you if you took the money soley for the purpose of putting up appearances? Will they still respect themselves? SHOULD they?

5. Will they still LOVE you if you don't; SHOULD they?

6. Do they know what EXTORTION is? Do they know what the supposed "lot" is for extortioners? If not, you can always refer them to 1 Corinthians 5:11, for they count themselves in with the folks who adhere to such "law."

Unfortunately, dear one, like so many other Witnesses, including myself and many here at one time, your parents haven't been taught that what THEY'RE doing is truly WRONG. Personally, I wouldn't take this kind of extortion on, but like my Lord, would turn it back on the "christians" that your parents apparently profess to be. Indeed, let THEM decide, as the "christians" they profess to be... what you... and THEY... should TRULY do.

I bid you peace!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

dude,

take the money and RUN.

-silent

• Es
    Es

OMG i cant believe you folks would pay you to go to the meetings so so wrong es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit