What age were you baptised? Do you regret it?

by doodle-v 33 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I was 16, and had no idea what I was doing.

• Banshee
    Banshee

I was baptized into the JW religion at 14. I came to regret it when I realized what a cold, judgmental and un-Christlike organization I was a part of. Icame to regret it even more when, years after leaving, I found out that I was not even baptized in the manner that Jesus commanded but, instead, into an organization. So, I was rebaptized at age 27 at a church that baptizes people in the way that Jesus commanded..."in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit".

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yes!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I was 14, and of course I regret it. I was only getting baptized at that time because my YOUNGER sister was also getting baptized and I felt I shouldn't go after her. lol

• Mulan
    Mulan

This made me remember the anniversary of my baptism is on Sunday. I'd much rather remember it as Mother's Day.

I was 9. May 8, 1955

Yes I regret it.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I was 15 and did it to keep everyone off my back....didn't really do it for me. Thought it might make my parents happy.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v
    I was 14, and of course I regret it. I was only getting baptized at that time because my YOUNGER sister was also getting baptized and I felt I shouldn't go after her. lol

LOL.. That reminds me. I remember a brother giving a talk about baptism and saying that some have gotten baptised just because their best friends were or because it was the only way they could be "eligible" to marry a brother or sister and that shouldnt be the reason people should be baptised. It happened all the time anyway. About six of my friends all got baptised on the same day. It was a big event. Hell it was the only time as a dub you would actually get wrapped presents, besides graduating highschool. -Doodle-V

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

I was 15.

Little did I know that one year later I would lose my virginity, and it wasn't even a big deal to me (wasn't that great). My grandparents totally believed me that I wasn't having sex. Guess it was the "two witness" rule.

laters

kaykay_mp

• Honesty
    Honesty

I swallowed the whole concept hook. line and sinker at age 37 as being the only 'truth' to be found until.... I found out, along with other non-scriptural dogma, that I was not even baptized in the manner that Jesus commanded but, instead, into an organization. So, I was rebaptized at age 52 at a church that baptizes people in the way that Jesus commanded..."in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit".

"You will know the truth and the truth will set you free."

• 4JWY
    4JWY

I was 16 and only did it because it was expected of me. It meant nothing to me except that I was pleasing my parents. Years later, when I realized I was supposed to have actually FELT something and have made a dedication to god, I felt like I should DO IT AGAIN - BE REBAPTIZED - since it wasn't really good enough the first time!

I regretted having to agonize over whether I SHOULD do it again........

I did NOT do it again, although I felt much pressure to do so, as others in my congregation did

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit