Political affiliation after leaving org.

by lucky 42 Replies latest jw friends

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Jeannie...that was my hubby that typed that...he was being "over the top", "tongue in cheek", "satirical".

I think that's why libs like the Jon Stewart show....more satire than commentary.

Right on Dan 'da Man

• Preston
    Preston

I love republicans even though I disagree with their stance on gay marriage and gays in general. I don't think they are repugnant or vile, I think as much of them as i think of people in my own party. I always see another person's diversity of opinion or belief as being a part of who we are as a whole. Still, as Yogi Berra said, if you can't see the god in all, you can't see the god at all. I see human dignity as all of a piece. I just can't see how I would want it for me and mine but not for them and theirs.

- Preston

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Jeannie you also missed the Star Wars reference.... meant obviously for fun :)

Dan... the rebublican party has really done quite the marketing job on America by their "moral" stance on abortion, sanctity of marriage, and Christian values. This is the first time that the government has given money to religious groups to fund social programs. I wonder how many ex=Dubs would like their tax money to be paid to the Dub's to fund social programs? I find it offensive that in their moral crusade they overlook poverty, nuclear non-proliferation, and being sound enviromental stewards of the Earth. How about the 2,000 American boys killed in Iraq? How about the 100,000 dead Iraqis? How moral is that? They are blinded by the propaganda machine and can't for one moment step outside themselves and look at the ideas from another countries view.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

And as only my friend Maureen Dowd can write with such clarity...here is some musings from her today...

President Bush's experiments in Afghanistan and Iraq created his own chimeras, by injecting feudal and tribal societies with the cells of democracy, and blending warring factions and sects. Some of the forces unleashed are promising; others are frightening.

In a chilling classified report to Congress last week, Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, conceded that Iraq and Afghanistan operations had restricted the Pentagon's ability to handle other conflicts.

That's an ominous admission in light of North Korea's rush toward nukes, which was spurred on by the Iraq invasion and North Korea's conviction that, in bargaining with Mr. Bush, real weapons trump imaginary - or chimerical - ones.

The U.S. invasion also spawned a torture scandal, and its own chimeric (alas, not chimerical) blend of former enemies - the Baathists and foreign jihadists - with access to Iraqi weapons caches.

The Republican Party is now a chimera, too, a mutant of old guard Republicans, who want government kept out of our lives, and evangelical Christians, who want government to legislate religion into our lives.

But exploiting God for political ends has set off powerful, scary forces in America: a retreat on teaching evolution, most recently in Kansas; fights over sex education, even in the blue states and blue suburbs of Maryland; a demonizing of gays; and a fear of stem cell research, which could lead to more of a "culture of life" than keeping one vegetative woman hooked up to a feeding tube.

Even as scientists issue rules on chimeras in labs, a spine-tingling he-monster with the power to drag us back into the pre-Darwinian dark ages is slouching around Washington. It's a fire-breathing creature with the head of W., the body of Bill Frist and the serpent tail of Tom DeLay.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Here's a story from USA Today on yet another enviromental safegaurd demolished...

The Bush administration on Thursday overturned one of the most significant land conservation measures of the Clinton presidency: a ban on roads, logging and development on 58.5 million acres of national forests. The move could open large pristine areas to industry.

The so-called roadless rule had affected 31% of all national forest land, mostly in Alaska and the West - an area about one-third the size of Texas.

President Clinton had put the far-reaching initiative in place in the final days of his administration. The Bush administration suspended it soon after taking office. Thursday's action was the final step in abandoning it.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I find it offensive that in their moral crusade they overlook poverty, nuclear non-proliferation, and being sound enviromental stewards of the Earth.

That's because the kingmaking clerics that have considerable influence over many of the most powerful members of the Republican party are, like the gray-haired WTS heavies in Brooklyn, obsessed with the supposed dangers of what they consider to be sexual sins.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Jeannie you also missed the Star Wars reference.... meant obviously for fun :)

Doh! Okay, Okay... So I'm a grumpy old lady and you've found me out! LOL You young whippersnappers just confuse me when you get all satirical and shi*.

J

• freedom96
    freedom96

I am all for everyone taking their own position in regards to politics, but name bashing, is not called for, and the one doing it looks very small in my eyes.

I do find these threads entertaining, but rather pointless, because unless both sides are fair about their arguements, it goes no where, and you will not change the others mind.

Everyone has their own views of right and wrong, morals, etc. Just because one person feels one way, doesn't make them right or wrong, or a bad person. But lets be adult about it, and look at all sides, and sometimes, just best to disagree.

Many republicans who could back up what they were saying with facts have left this forum, due to the relentness attacks by those opposing them. It just wasn't worth it.

As I stated earlier on this thread, I do consider myself a moderate conservative, and I do vote republican. Do I consider republicans perfect? No, of course not. But I have major challenges with a lot of democrats, and their transgressions far outway most of the republicans.

Personally, I acknowledge that some of our taxes are put to good use. I have no problem paying my fair share. But when I have to fork over half of my hard earned income, that gets a bit extreme. I support those who want to do something for themselves, and work hard and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

Don't compare me to all the republicans you hate. I stand for me, and what I do for myself and my family. I help others, and take care of my family. I work hard, and I expect to see results from what I do, just as anyone else should have the right to do. But just because I work both hard and smart, doesn't mean that I need to take most of my money and share it with everyone else. Those that are here legally have the same opportunities as I, so they need to go out and do what makes them happy, instead of relying on a handout.

Just because you think different, doesn't make you better, or smarter. Just makes you look pitiful.

I believe what I do, and I respect what you believe. Leave it at that. This is not meant just at one particular person, but anyone who has the attitude of they are the only ones who are right, and all others are stupid.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Shake the shackles of the WTS and then willingly submit to their equal... political parties?

Re-think people... RETHINK!

I have no problem with viewpoints on issues (my own based on facts), but to tow a party line you're right back under someone elses yoke my friend.

Does anyone stand on their own?

u/d

• freedom96
    freedom96

Stand on my own?

Absolutely! I would probably consider myself even more of an independent than anything else, however, independents don't have enough say or power politically speaking, so I must go with which side more expresses my personal viewpoints more than the other. There just is no question about it, that I must vote republican.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit