Watchtower Votes in United Nations Affairs

by Dogpatch 45 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

When I see something that Dogpatch aka Randy has posted I want to think Alan F not Matt Drudge!

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Min,

Everyone makes mistakes. Nearly everything Randy has come up with is golden. It was bound to happen.

Do you think Matt Drudge would have been so humble about it? I still don't think Matt Drudge.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Meanwhile, I wanted to say how stunned I was reading this stoopidly disingenuous statement:

Jehovah's Witnesses firmly believe that the United Nations is going to play a major role in world events in the very near future. No doubt these developments will be very exciting. And the results will have a far-reaching impact on your life. We urge you to ask Jehovah's Witnesses in your neighborhood for more details on this matter. The Bible clearly paints a picture showing that the United Nations will very shortly be given power and authority. The UN will then do some very astonishing things that may well amaze you. And you will be thrilled to learn that there is yet a better way near at hand that will surely bring eternal peace and security! (Awake/1991/Sept/8th/page-10/).

Here it is parsed out:

"Jehovah's Witnesses firmly believe that the United Nations is going to play a major role in world events in the very near future." Sounds great, right? Non-JWs who read this would think it is a very pro-UN statement, while JWs know this is a reference to the UN as the Beast in Revelation which will destroy Babylon the Great (world religions).

No doubt these developments will be very exciting. Non-JWs naturally would interpret the word "exciting" in a positive sense, as in "What an exciting time to be alive!" JWs know that the word here means "world-shattering events".

And the results will have a far-reaching impact on your life. Non-JWs would naturally think of the UN programs on fighting hunger, illiteracy, improving public health, etc. JWs of course know that this "far-reaching impact" will be a horrific one, of the governments turning on religion and destroying churches, outlawing religion, etc. The beginning of the "great tribulation".

We urge you to ask Jehovah's Witnesses in your neighborhood for more details on this matter. Typical marketing statement.

The Bible clearly paints a picture showing that the United Nations will very shortly be given power and authority. Yeah. As the satanic Beast of Revelation!! "The dragon [Satan the Devil] gave the Beast his power and his throne and his authority" (Revelation 13:2). The UN is given its authority not from the people or governments, but from Satan....the Watchtower writer hides the fact he believes that the UN is satanic and puts a positive spin on it.

The UN will then do some very astonishing things that may well amaze you. Again, the author subtley incorporates language from Revelation referring to the satanic Beast. "The whole world was astonished and followed the Beast" (Revelation 13:4). Again, this satanic thing is made out to sound like a good thing!

And you will be thrilled to learn that there is yet a better way near at hand that will surely bring eternal peace and security! Non-JWs would likely miss what this sentence is saying as well. This "better way" is God's kingdom which replaces all earthly governments according to the JWs. What this sentence is basically describing is the destruction of the UN. But it all sounds so wonderful and peachy.

What a sneaky, doublespeak piece of misinformation!

• Terry
    Terry

When there is a ___friendly opposition__the facts of a matter can be quickly established.

When no dissent is allowed, then, errors become doctrines.

The Watchtower is a case study in errors as doctrines.

Thanks to Randy for showing what the friendly opposition can bring about by way of getting to the bottom of a matter within minutes!

The process is what tests the truth; not the assertion itself.

Terry

• luna2
    luna2

Very enjoyable to see how this played out among people with open minds who really are interested in truth.

Leolaia, I agree! I read that tripe and was disgusted. How dishonest! If I was still a dub I would have been embarrassed to make a return visit on anyone I placed that mag with.

When I was still in, I hated it that it was considered perfectly legitimate to deceive people this way.

• eisenstein
    eisenstein

Randy!!! at first on the website I felt like Julia Roberts in "Conspiracy Theory" (I was actually scared) and I quickly hit the back button on my computer. But, as I read your scans I had to just find out if this is true. So I hit on the link and went to the votes link and got to the page to type in the organization. I did what you said first, typed W. Nothing happened but then Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. I saw the two links and really felt like Julia Roberts, especially after reading what they voted on.

There was something mentioned on Lou Dobbs on CNN the other night about NGOs and the United Nations (the legitimacy of some).

This thread will feed my paranoia for at least a few days (see jws in my neighborhood all the time).

Peace!
    eisenstein

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit