Dad (elder) called yesterday.

by Es 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Es
    Es

Hi all.... I have not spoken nor seen my dad for about 3months now after he would not allow me to borrow cds for my up and coming wedding to a "worldy guy" because borrowing his cds means he would be supporting my mariage. Even tho the relationship between my mum and I is now strained as a result she still keeps in contact and suggested that we all meet at the shops one day for lunch so dad could see my son. I agreed as I felt it would be nice for my son to see his pop again...but also was a little upset as dad hasnt gone out of his way to see my son. Anyway out of the blue yesterday he called up wanting to say hello to blake (my son) i explained to him he was in creche and that he could call round 5 to say hello. Then there was silence on the phone i actually had to say hello to make sure he was still there, in which he said goodbye and hang up. So along comes 5 oclock and he rings again so I hand the phone to Blake they have a little chat and then blake says bye. I get the phone back thers silence on the other end i say hello and he says ok bye and hangs up!!!!! By this time im getting alittle annoyed that he hasnt bothered to ask if im ok or even speak to me. He rang me up today i answered the phone and he just hang up on me !!!!!! Sorry if this is boring i just had to vent es

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Not boring at all just deeply, deeply sad.

Your Dad has clearly taken the decision to try and maintain contact with his Grandson while keeping contact with you to the barely required minimum. You have my symapthy Es.

It would be useless trying to explain what's happening to you to someone who hadn't grown up in this cult (or one of many others) but be assured that most of us here understand exactly what you're saying.

All the best and Good Luck for the future,

Nic'

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Es,

If your dad is that much of an idiot, then hang up on him. That's crazy, infantile, and just pure ignorant. He's acting like a two year old. His day is comming!

Dismembered

"They": believe they're gliding down the highway,

when in fact they're slip-sliding away".

• blondie
    blondie

Es, as your son gets older and sees how your dad treats you, what will he learn from that? Do you want your son to think that you accept such behavior?

It's hard; just because they are our parents, and older than we are, doesn't mean that sometimes we the child have a more adult persepective.

Your parents probably think you are lost but think they can save your son by bringing him into The Truth (sic) since the WTS teaches that all the minor children of non-JWs will be executed along with their parents at Armageddon.

I'd be cautious.

Love, Blondie

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

tell your dad that you are a family unit...and soon to be extended and that they must accept you as such and that you do not allow one member of the family to be treated differently to another...as a father he ought to understand that

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Es - you poor thing. Have a hug from me. You are a better person than I am because in your position I would not let your father speak to your little boy at all unless he behaved like a normal person. I mean what kind of image must your son have of his grandfather ? This makes my blood boil!

However you did say your father phoned and hung up- it may be that he does want to hear the sound of your voice Es. I only say this because sometimes I sooo want to hear the sound of the voice of my family who I have not seen in 7 years (apart from my dad once two or three years back when my grandma had died). So ocassionally I withold my number and ring home - only every few months or so. I've only ever got my Dad's voice, but just to hear him say hello is all I can have so thats what I have to do.

crumpet x

• greendawn
    greendawn

A classic example of idiotic and bigoted behaviour and the affirmation of all that constitutes a cult.

If only these people were half as dumb as we imagine them to be.
    Don't worry Es things will work out great.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I have not spoken nor seen my dad for about 3months now after he would not allow me to borrow cds for my up and coming wedding to a "worldy guy" because borrowing his cds means he would be supporting my mariage.

How ridiculous! In the normal world, a dad of a bride to be who refuses to loan CDs because he doesn't like who she's marrying would be considered vindictive and petty. In the dub world, the same situation, the dad is considered spiritual and moral.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Since he called and hung up perhaps he is wrestling with his conscience. Perhaps he wants to talk with you but can't bring himself to; yet. I don't know but that could be a silver lining in your story.

Good luck Es

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

My sympathies are with you, I would be mad and upset too. I think Blondie has a point, you may think about telling him that if he wants to have contact with his grandson that he can at least show manners to you as an example to your son. It's your house he's calling so you call the shots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit