Did Jesus ever use the name Jehovah?

by LMS-Chef 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

narkissos....im all ears...just a little quieter though...my ears still ring from a gary numan gig in '81

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    the prophecy concerning the Messiah

Or, what could be read in the 1st century as a prophecy concerning the Messiah... the text in its original setting most probably refers to a son of Ahaz, a few centuries earlier.

• heathen
    heathen

I think he would have used the name jehovah especially when quoting Isaiah 61 as I see it is there .

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

(Whispering)

tijkmo, use your KIT (Kingdom Interlinear Translation) to see what "Jehovah" stands for in the Greek text.

Edit: that goes for heathen too...

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i dont have a kit..and dont see it on wtcd.....but i looked in the appendix of nwt...i will get a look at someone elses....interesting.. amazing what one takes for granted

• Shania
    Shania

Be kind to TJ he don't like loud noise, he is a quiet gentle man. So speak softly, he is a good listener.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I began to wonder about this too, after I had left the WTS. What then surprised me was the fact that when Jesus was teaching the "model prayer", he address God as "Our Father"!

Wouldn't you think that if his main purpose was to help ones to worship "Jehovah", he would have at the very least used the "name" when saying that prayer?

All that fancy reasoning by the WTS, like: when we want people to know who we are don't we like it when they use our name, etc-----but as good as that might sound, I don't see where Jesus felt the same way.

As was brought out, just because the NWT has stuck the name in anywhere and everywhere they felt like it----doesn't make it accurate.

On the same subject (kind of), how I used to hate it when a Brother would say a prayer at the KH, and insert the name every other sentence! If it was a lengthy prayer, I'd get so sick of hearing Jehovah bless this and Jehovah thank you for that.......................grrrrrr.

Annie

• heathen
    heathen

I don't have it either , perhaps if you posted it . There were apparently alot of jewish names that had the name jehovah in it somewhere, for instance like elijah, which means my God is jehovah .

• Balsam
    Balsam

This is something that totally hit home for me was something a householder pointed out to me. Jesus never ever once refered to his father by the Hewbrew YHWH ever all his short life. The householder and I discussed it several times and I pointed out scriptures where the NWT refered to Jehovah. She pointed out to me that was added by the bible Society I was preaching for and was not in the orginal Greek writings. I though after that if Jehovah, as we called him, was so important in making his name known as Jesus said, why didn't he ever used God's name. Jesus certainly was a rebel, and went against the Jewish laws, this should have been a prime importance, I would think. He said I came to make his fathers name known yet never did he speak it. I suppose it was at that time I began to realize I didn't know as much as I thought I did. It did cause me to question the WTS authority to a degree, at least their understanding. But again this was not something we could talk about in great detail with other witnesses. They would have thought I'd become weak to say such things.

I just got a lecture course from the "Teachings Company" College lectures by Bart D. Ehrman on the New Testament. I realized now how little we really understood about the writing of what we call the New Testament today. Mark was likely the first of the gospels written, then Matthew, Luke called the synoptic gospels. The are simular in content. Then the book of John was written, it is likely written as late as 130 CE. None of these books were written by people who were eye witnesses to Jesus or the people they are attributed too. Mark was written about 35 years after Jesus died. The Apostles except Paul were illiterate men and it wasn't until later their words were written down about Jesus. Jesus himself was illiterate. Paul wrote some of the book attributed to him but many are not by him but written by later bishops of the church and attributed to Paul like 1 & 2 Timothy & Titus. These lectures by college professors from the "Teaching Company" are well worth the money one can spend on them. No college credit, but the knowledge is awesome. I also have the OT by Professor Amy Levine, the lessons really bring home the lack of knowledge most so called Christians have about the bible. Even a terrible ignorance of the Jew's and their history. It is clearly shown that the bible is written as allegory and metaphor to teach people to listen to God. The NT was written in a simular Jewish way.

Balsam

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Heathen,

KIT Luke 4:18: Greek pneuma kuriou ep'eme, Interlinear translation Spirit of Lord on me, NWT Jehovah's Spirit is upon me.

The footnotes "J" with "Jehovah" misleadingly refer to modern translations from the Greek into Hebrew, which are dishonestly put at the same level as ancient Greek manuscripts.

There were apparently alot of jewish names that had the name jehovah in it somewhere, for instance like elijah, which means my God is jehovah .

So what? Apollos contains the name of the Greek god Apollo, does each mention of Apollos count as calling on the name of Apollo?

The closest you could get to a mention of Yhwh would be Hallelujah, "praise Yah" (Revelation 19), the exact meaning of which was probably lost to Greek readers (just as Hosanna in the Gospels).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit