Has any wife hosted a party and her husband got all the credit?

by codeblue 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• codeblue
    codeblue

How did that make you feel?

Could you believe how "invisible you were made to feel" after you did most of the work, and received no recognition or appreciation?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Oh gosh codeblue that gave me flash backs to the 50's! I thought society had moved further along these days.

Remember that book Womanly Art Of Womanhood? It was right along those lines of the woman doing everything to advance her husbands career being the homemaker and all she had nothing else to do but cater to her husband and make him look good that was her JOB, oh and care for all household duties which of course didn't involve any of the financial decisions.

Sorry you were made to feel so inferior! How did hubby handle it?

Kate

• codeblue
    codeblue

Thanks Kate for your kind words....You are right, it is 2005........not the 50's....Weird how some guys are stuck in that mindset.

My husband has noted and feels very bad. He knows I did most of the work and cooking.....It was suppose to be OUR event, but somehow I look invisible, and he feels my pain....

Makes me not want to have anyone over to my house anymore.

• talesin
    talesin

All I can say is "UGH"!

You know, I always hate it when I go to Thanksgiving or Xmas dinner or something, and the women are running around cooking, cleaning up, SERVING, and the men are doing what? Eating, drinking, watching TV, being SERVED. And it's still accepted as the way it should be. It's not just in the bOrg, trust me.

The hippy folk generally treat their partners as equals, and I really enjoy their social gatherings much more. I don't like it when women are expected to be a servant.

tal

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

That's terrible codeblue. I'm sorry you were ignored and your efforts not appreciated.

I've been in similar situations, not with a husband but with roommates where we would both be having the party but I'd be doing the work and she'd be getting the thanks. It does make you not want to put forth the effort any more, in the face of such ingratitude.

{{{codeblue}}}

I'm glad hubby is empathetic to you and your feelings.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I think the same thing happens when people go out to dinner and the 'husband' picks up the tab.

I make it a point to thank BOTH husband and wife.

-Aude.

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

Ugh Codeblue, that stinks :( I hope he makes it up to you...I've had that happen with my ex. He'd invite people over...I'd cook and clean up everything, and they would thank him for the evening.

Aude...that reminds me of when my husband and I go out to dinner. He doesn't have a check card to our joint account...the card we have only has my name on it. About half the time, when they bring back the charge slip to be signed, they will hand it to him. My first name is only a girls' name...but I know it is just a case of habit to assume the man is paying.

• curlygirl
    curlygirl

What? A party and I wasn't invited?! For future reference, I am a fabulous guest and am always most appreciative!

Curlygirl

• codeblue
    codeblue

Curlygirl, I am sure you would be a very appreciative guest.

To me, showing appreciation to both host and hostess is just plain common etiquette.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I think this same scenario happened on Desperate Housewives earlier this season.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit