Who left the JW's after getting on the internet?

by toladest 30 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

The Internet didn't help me decide to leave, but while I was looking for the WTBS web site to order the 'young people ask' book for my kids, I came across Randy Waters web site. Then ordered COC - devoured it - confirmed some things, revealed others and left me completely appalled at this organization that calls itself 'God's representatives on Earth. I will never look at the WTBS the same as I did before, and I hope to God more Witnesses find out the truth about the 'lie', whether it be from Ray's book, the media or the web.

Great thread.

• gumby
    gumby

Thanks to those who answered my question. When I was a dub......10 years ago, I never knew of the stance other than the two witness rule.....and I was an elder. Unless you deal with this issue in the congregation......you don't know the full scope of the societies position.......such as not reporting it unless a particular state demands it, and that you call the legal dept first, and the consequences to those who go beyond the elders decision on an abuse matter.

It seems to me from reading here that many learned about the policy from the TV programs that dealt with this......or from personal experience in the congregation. Those that haven't seen or heard of it through these means seem to be in the dark regarding it......but when they learn of it, it definately challenges their faith.

Gumby

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i left emotionally and spiritually because of the way i was treated...so this site is helping me come to terms with that

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I also saw that fifth estate episode about child abuse in the JW's. That's when I really started researching, initially as a half assed JW apologist, on the internet. More than anything though it was the 'Revelation: It's Grand Climax at Hand!' book that made me feel like an outsider while still a dub. It's just theory riddled silliness. Studying that book years ago made me sick, thats when I started doubting and thinking for the first time.

GBL

• TheListener
    TheListener

Watching the Dateline show really made me think. I was pretty angry at how some were treated. I've been on the internet for years and wouldn't even think of checking an apostate site. Not until after Dateline. I wouldn't review apostate material but I did check out CoC on amazon. After that the rest is history.

• Shania
    Shania

We haven't left totally do to our love for our family,---but our hearts left along time ago. I will admitt I would never read apostate literature and was a full beliver that the internet was full of lies............sad isn't it????? Thank God I have a very smart and caring husband who knew things were not right with the Tower and how they handeled abuses cases, he had to deal with one and was appauld at how Brooklyn certainly would cover their a** when it came to legal matters but leave the elders out to get sued.............................then he quietly read COC and would share things with me, and read things on this site and would tell me how many here felt and saw the wrong with the TOWER and how hurt they were by the hypocrisy, all I can say is "no, the internet did not cause me to leave, but it sure has helped to cope with the pain and hurt and know you can express that and others here will not judge you for it.

As of this moment I have not read COC...............maybe on day I will.

• toladest
    toladest

I have a question for those who said it was the WTS stance on child abuse policies that caused them doubts. If it wasn't the internet that you learned about it.........where did you learn it from?

Gumby Gumby, I was in the center of the child abuse issue. I was a VERY FAITHFUL JW until I watched as the Elders and the WTS stood behind and supported my father-in-law molester as they shunned his victims and treated them like liars. I saw years of this up to his conviction. At that point I pushed the issue with the elders in my hall that they labeled me an apostate. At that point I had not told others in the congergation and I had NEVER read any "apostate" material, EVER! I was an apostate simply for questioning the elders on the way they were handling (or not handling) the child abuse issue.That is when I got on the internet to find out what an apostate really was.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I was halfway out until I discovered freeminds and support group for ex-jehovah's witnesses some years ago. then I was really out!

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Who left the JW's after getting on the internet?

I did. I accidentally stumbled upon the silent lambs site about 6 months before I found JWD. Back then, after spending a whole night reading through that site, I still thought that perhaps it was just all talk to make the JWs look bad. Six months later, I read a poem at a poetry site. Nobody probably knew which religion the poem was really about, but it contained some typical JW lingo, so I knew... The poem was obviously written by someone who had a bad experience with the JWs. Concerned, as well as interested in what happened, I sent the author of the poem a pm. She replied and included a link to JWD in her reply. That was the beginning of the end for me.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    Gumby: I have a question for those who said it was the WTS stance on child abuse policies that caused them doubts. If it wasn't the internet that you learned about it.........where did you learn it from?

One of my employees - actually one of her friends who also worked for me. They were two teenage witness girls. One baptized and one not. The baptized one had molestation issues. She was forbidden to speak about any of it because the 'brother' (a very close relative) was a servant and it would damage his reputation in the congregation. This young woman said nothing, but her friend's mother told me plenty.

That was a huge chip in the foundation of my trust in WTS. I thought it was just localized to this congregation and I was livid with indignation. When I learned how rampant child sexual abuse is, I was done with the religion.

All religions, in fact.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit