Meek Shall Inherit the earth

by golden age 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Interesting, because this is something that we all had to consider when reassessing our beliefs in the WTS. I could not count the number of times that I showed Ps 37 to a householder to show that we look forward to a "New World".. but I reasoned that :-

1] the Psalms were songs,not written as factual solid prophecy, even as the Watchower Society say,

it-2 p. 708 Psalms, Book of ***

A book seemingly consisting of five collections of sacred songs?(1) Ps 1-41; (2) 42-72; (3) 73-89; (4) 90-106; (5) 107-150?each collection ending with a blessing pronounced on Jehovah

Of course the Insight book treats part of the them as solid prophecy, but would we expect a song to be taken so literally? I think not.

2] other parts of the Psalms are treated as figuarative.

(Psalm 112:5-10) 5

"The man is good who is gracious and is lending. He sustains his affairs with justice.

6 For at no time will he be made to totter. The righteous one will prove to be for remembrance to time indefinite.

7 He will not be afraid even of bad news. His heart is steadfast, made reliant upon Jehovah.

8 His heart is unshakable; he will not be afraid, Until he looks on his adversaries.

9 He has distributed widely; he has given to the poor ones. His righteousness is standing forever. ק His own horn will be exalted with glory. "

No one claims that an honest man is necessarily free from worries and strife.

The witness will say that " Ah! that verse is obviously a generalisation .. So why not Ps 37 10 as well?

The WTS like to Pick'n'mix the literal understanding of certain prophetic pieces in Psalms and the Revelation

• TheListener
    TheListener

This is an excellent discussion.

The paradise earth is something I've been really thinking about. I'm finding I don't believe in it, but perhaps only because it was part of my JW belief system. Instead of taking what others say on a subject and going along for the ride I am trying to understand the different viewpoints and make up my own mind about how I feel.

There have been many excellent scriptural discussions lately and I really enjoy them.

• breeze
    breeze

Wow, this has brought many new thoughts into my head???

Outoftheorg, said it best....one for one against...the Bible just has too many places where it conflicts!!!

Does the Bible say that anything is forever? It implies it but only the earth itself is mentioned as being from generation to generation and being here forever?

BREEZE 1:1 "I am confused and I can't work it out!" "" Nothing is forever""

• Carmel
    Carmel

In past Dispensations, as in this Day, God has promoted His Faith through the work of men and women who were meek and humble. Of these people it is stated in the Qur'án: 'And We desire to show favour to those who were brought low in the land, and to make them spiritual leaders among men, and to make of them Our heirs.'

Similarly these words are recorded in the Gospels: 'Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.'(29) By exalting His Cause through the aid of the lowliest among men, God has proved the ascendancy and power of His Manifestations. No one can accuse Them of having established religion through the influence of important people. For example, those few souls who first recognized and followed Christ were not outstanding people. They were treated with contempt and were persecuted. Others who followed in their footsteps suffered the same fate and many of them died martyrs' deaths. Yet in spite of their seeming helplessness at the time, the Message of Christ was noised abroad and His Faith established. This is one of the proofs of the authenticity of His Mission.

(Adib Taherzadeh, The Revelation of Baha'u'llah v 2, p. 21)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit