Meek Shall Inherit the earth

by golden age 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Didn't the meek of the Psalms inherit the earth or the land, the Promised Land, that is? Nothing about a future paradise earth, but all about the now.

That's a good point....some of these psalms (e.g. 44:1-4, 78:54-55, 80, 105, 135:12, 136:21-22) look back to the mythos of the conquest (or the Abrahamic covenant in Genesis), and the description of the meek possessing the land has a timeless feel to it, like a proverb. In fact, there is a proverb almost identical to it: "For the land will be for honest men to live in, the innocent will have it for their home, while the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the faithless rooted out of it" (Proverbs 2:21-22). The general situation described in Psalm 37 is one of divine blessing that results from living faithfully, and thus does not pertain to any one particular time. Here are some parallels in the Psalms:

"All the ways of Yahweh are loving and faithful for those who keep the demands of the covenant...Who then is the man who fears Yahweh? He will instruct him in the ways chosen for him. He will spend his days in prosperity, and his descendents will inherit his land" (Psalm 25:10, 12-13).
    "Blessed is he who has regard for the weak, Yahweh delivers him in times of trouble. Yahweh will protect him and his life; he will bless him in the land and not surrender him to the desire of foes...In my integrity you uphold me and set me in your presence forever" (Psalm 41:1-2).
    "Your sons will take the place of your fathers, you will make them princes throughout the land. I will perpetuate your memory through all generations; therefore the nations will praise you forever" (Psalm 45:16-17).
    "He drove out nations before them and allotted their lands as an inheritance; he settled the tribes of Israel in their homes" (Psalm 78:55).
    "He confirmed it to Jacob as a decree, to Israel as an everlasting covenant: 'To you I will give the land of Canaan, as the portion you will all inherit' " (Psalm 105:10-11).
    "The scepter of the wicked will not remain over the land allotted to the righteous, for then the righteous might use their hands to do evil" (Psalm 125:3).

There is also a favorite passage of mine from 1 Baruch: "O Israel, how great is the house of God! And how vast the territory that he possesses! It is great and has no bounds; it is high and immeasurable. The giants were born there, who were famous of old, great in stature, expert in war. God did not choose them, nor give them the way to knowledge; so they perished because they had no wisdom, they perished through their folly" (3:24-28).

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Daytona....You have just constructed a two-class system through OT analogy (priests = unlanded Israelites, commoners = landed Israelites); the Watchtower Society has done such a thing profusely (anyone remember that long ridiculous list from some book that listed, among other things, "Noah's wife" and "a catch of fish"), and they depend a lot on analogy and typology -- probably because there otherwise just isn't much support for a two-class system in the Bible....especially the NT. Arguing from analogy is usually fallacious. I can see without considering anything else that your analogy is extremely weak: the priests may or may not have owned land as private property (and I have no clue what land ownership was in ancient Israel!), but they certainly did live in the land!!! They are part of the nation of Israel which inherited the promised land from their enemies, as the conquest mythos goes. The Levites are one of those tribes promised to gain the land; they certainly were not outside the Abrahamic covenant.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

As a side thought someone could do a search in the WT Cd and find that they have on occasion said that matt 5;5 was NOT quoting Psalm 37 and that it referred not to the Paradise but to the 144K getting rulership over the earth...but anyway, in reality it appears that the author was using the Essene terminology "Meek", "Poor" "pure" etc.

The author believed that blessings in both the here and now (will be satisfied,comforted,and given the land) as well as in the afterlife (merciful judgment,see God,son of God, heaven) awaited the oppressed pious christian keepers of the Law.

• Daytona
    Daytona

Leolaia,

There were 12 tribes who received a land allotment. Was the tribe of Levi one of them?

Daytona

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

According to Joshua, the Levites were not given their own territory to settle, but they were given land...."The Israelites gave the Levites the following towns and pasturelands out of their own inheritance" (Joshua 21:3; cf. 1 Chronicles 6). These texts claim that the Levites were given land scattered throughout the other tribes' territories.

• Daytona
    Daytona

Leolaia,

You are correct. The Levites were not given a tribal inheritance but rather the right to have homes and pastures in cities scattered among the other 12 tribes. The land of Israel was divided only 12 ways, not 13. Levi was not given a tribal inheritance but he was given homes and pastures in order that when the priests were not serving at the Temple they could have sustenance though having no tribal land inheritance. Levi's inheritance was Jehovah not a large tract of tribal land. A home with pastures does not equate with the tribal lands inheritance.

I think it's foolish to discount the pattern set in the OT, imo.

Daytona

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

As in Joshua 21, Numbers 35:6-7 indicates that the Levites were given 48 cities along with pasture lands. Does that mean they were not meek?

Well, according to Ex. 32:28, maybe they weren't so meek after all???? Is that why they didn't get their own alotment?

• Carmel
    Carmel

"The Geeks shall inherit the earth". Bill Gates, 6:44

carmel

• TheWord
    TheWord
    I was talking to a witness the other day and i was explaining from revelation how there is only one calling to heaven and there is not an earthly calling. And the JW asked me to explain the verse from pslam which states teh meek shall inherit the earth and reside in it forever, any one have any scripture to refute his argument.

Thanks

What is the need for the earth and the universe if everyone lives in heaven? Man has flown into space and not seen God. So does everyone in heaven fly down to the earth just to be invisible entities? I think the earth is here for human beings, don't you? word up

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

LDS, SDA, JWs, a few great modern examples of OT typology gone wild...

Of course the NT writers too read their theologies backward into the OT when they thought convenient to do so. And they simply disregarded any "OT pattern" that didn't fit into their agenda. For instance, the Torah separation between royal and priestly functions, which "typologically" would call for two messiahs instead of one (cf. Qumran).

While the NT occasionally resorts to a "kings/priests vs. subjects/lay people" pattern (e.g. Matthew 19:28f//; 1 Corinthians 6:2f; Revelation 1:6; 5:10; 20:6), it never uses it to draw a line between two categories of Christians (or disciples).

I think the earth is here for human beings, don't you?
    If "common sense" is to be used let's use it completely: yes the earth is here for human beings, i.e. the human species comprised, as every other mammal species, of sexed and mortal individuals. Even the Bible doesn't deny that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit