Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have The Reputation THEY Think They Have?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Witnesses believe they are special. The publications give many examples of how wonderful a Witness was viewed upon by a "worldly" person. KMs tell of how so many praise the Witnesses for being so "different".....What would you say is the real way people view JWs???

• Undecided
    Undecided

I think it depends a lot on the ones they are acquainted with.

Ken P.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think most people view witnesses as very strange, though many they meet might be nice.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Anytime I've shared with someone I was raised as a JW, the reaction has NEVER been positive. My confession is always met with wide eyes and a little backing up. LOL. I've had many people tell me they can't believe I ended up so "normal" after my experience. The only exception to that is when people have never heard of JWs. Those comments are the ones that really surprised me, especially when I was first DFed. I remember saying, "You mean you've never heard of JWs???" I was shocked. I still had to grow out of that egotistical attitude, like the world revolved around The bOrg.

So in answer to your question...no...I don't think they have the reputation they think they have. It's worse. Much worse.

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts

I have yet to meet a single person (non-dub) that has thought they were "wonderful". Most have no clue whatsoever what the dubs are about or what they believe. They are just chalked up to another wacko religion like the Mormons.

Blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Most people barely recognize the existance of Jehovah's Witnesses. If you mention them to someone the answer is often, "Jehovah's who???"

Most people who know anything about them realize they're a destructive cult.

Walter

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

most people look at jw's like dopes. and have no intrest in what they have to say. i've been watching for years. i also find jw's asking worldly people for advice on everyday living. knowing they waisted there time and $$$$$ selling bogus mag's instead of thinking of thier retirement years.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

As most people associate Jehovah's Witnesses with being bothered at the door, I would say they have no reputation whatsoever.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Just look at the (rare) appearances of JW characters in fictions.

For instance, a janitor in one of Pedro Almodovar's movies saying something like: "I'm sorry, I am a JW and I cannot lie. If I could I'd do it gladly."

Tells it all: dependable and predictable because they act as if they were not individuals.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

As I recall, every reaction I have ever had upon telling someone I was raised a JW was along the lines of "Oh, you poor thing!!!" They all knew JWs for 2 things----knockin on doors and not speakin to infidel relatives... and they all found both practices to be despicable in varying degrees.

~Merry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit