DO YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS OF ASPERGER'S SYNDROME?

by Terry 21 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I'm a Sexual Intellectual..... that's an Effing Know-it-all.

I don't think I qualify.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Early on, my mom had to communicate with me by drawing pictures to ask me what I wanted. I had my hearing tested many times because I acted as if I were deaf. When I started going to school, I went to a school for deaf and learning-disabled children where the teacher would communicate mainly with pictures and hand gestures. By first grade, I had dramatically improved in speaking ability and in understanding the speech of other people, and by second grade I was mainstreamed, tho I had intensive therapy for many years, especially to improve my deficits in auditory processing. If I saw something visually, I learned it very easily -- which is why I am great with with written language, photos, etc. But if I hear something, I often forget it as soon as I hear it, which makes spoken language very difficult, and even now I probably cannot learn to be fluent in a foreign language tho I can easily become literate in it. Another aspect of autism/AS are sensory sensitivities. I had many phobias as a child (and still have many today!!) because of seeing or hearing things too suddenly. I remember how much the vaccum or garbage disposal would terrify me, how I had to run out of the house because of the disgusting sound made when my dad sharpened knives, and anything with styrofoam blocks today is far more than I can stand (such as opening boxes containing them, the tactile and auditory sensations they cause hurt), the clapping at the JW meetings would be more than I can stand, etc. Another big thing was the high-pitched noise I would hear from the television when it is on. That sound drove me nuts sometimes! And when I was 7 and 8, when I first had to go door to door, I knew if someone was home from across the street because I could hear that high-pitched sound emanating from the house. And then they would not come to the door, and I knew they were there, with the TV on mute, because of that irritating high-pitched sound.

I can't remember much from my childhood, but I do remember being stuck in a "special class" in Grade 3 (when I entered into a new school), for a few weeks. I actually did horribly in elementary school until Gr. 6 when school went into more of a methodical form of teaching (my gr. 6 teacher was real old school) rather than the more modern kind of elementary education. It's interesting how you mention hearing a high-pictched noise with the TV and electronics, I used to hear that kind of stuff too until two things happened: 1) I played an instrument in a high school band (temporary hearing reduction) and 2) I got an ear infection that made that hearing reduction more permenent (but I'm still within acceptable parameters).

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I have one nephew with that, and another nephew that is full blow autistic.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    BrendaCloutier: I'm a Sexual Intellectual..... that's an Effing Know-it-all.

I don't think I qualify.

Hmm. Inappropriate response. Maybe you do, after all...

• Princess
    Princess
    I'm a Sexual Intellectual..... that's an Effing Know-it-all.

I don't think I qualify

Actually, it's a symptom of Aspergers. One of the more annoying aspects that affects my sister-in-law that Mulan mentioned above.

• love11
    love11

I don't think I have that. But I do have a touch of social anxiety. I always wonder if everyone's judgeing me or I think they won't like me. I think it's because I was judged by the jw's and they said they didn't like me. So that could be why. Sometimes my nerves stop me from being more social. But most of the time I think I hide it pretty well.

The problem is that when someone tries to be friends with me, I'm fine at first and then I start backing away. I'm trying not to do that because people get the wrong idea and become offended. I think it's a safety mechanism so that people won't ask too many questions. On this forum I can say what I want because I don't see your faces, but in person I'm reserved and I just talk small talk. Although I've never experienced talking to an ex-jw that understands, so I probably will react different when meeting you guys. Sometimes I think just because you've been through alot in life, people think you must be messed up. And I do have my moments, but for the most part I've done as well as I can for myself. I can't turn the clock back and change my childhood, but I can change what I do and how I react to life now. Hopefully, that's what people see.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Just what is a normal person?

purps

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Interesting thread.

I have an autistic brother who displays many of the symptoms listed, and those of us who know my father well have wondered about him also (himself included), as he is quite a socially maladroit yet intelligent person. I myself am no social genius, I spend most of my time outside of work alone in my house as social interaction with persons outside of my immediate family tend to exhaust me very quickly. I was an early talker though, and have never had difficulty reading faces, nor have I ever been obsessive about learning certain things.

Syndrome and Diagnosed - what lousy words we use to describe these people. It takes all kinds, and with Leolaia being one of the best additions to this board that has ever come along, what more proof do you need. It's a shame that such kids get harrassed so bad in school growing up, kids can be so mean.

I've long suspected people predisposed this way often end up in cults like Jehovah's Witnesses because it is especially good at drawing peculiar and ill-fitted people in.

There may be some truth to that. Ill-fitted and peculiar would likely be adjectives that some people who know me might use to describe me LOL, I can be cool though, just depends on how comfortable I am in my environment. But there's a lot of oddballs in the JW's for sure, maybe they're better off.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

When I was still a witness there was this really nice witness girl I used to talk to who lived in Canada who had it. I forget what her name was, but it will come to me eventually. I sometimes wonder what ever became of some of those people.

• target
    target

In my research to find something to help my little grandson, I came across a number of articles that said that children with any autism spectrum disorder often have digestion issues, which seems to go undiagnosed.(the articles cited 80%) It has to do with the pancreatic enzymes and the lack of them causes incomplete digestion of particular foods and that causes toxins that enter the blood stream and go to the brain. It also causes a lack of nutrients, especially minerals.

I purchased Pancreatin at the health food store and my little grandson started taking it twice per day. We have seen substantial improvement all the way around with him. As time goes on, he gets better and better. He is much more outgoing, happy, interactive. He also takes a multi vitamin/multi mineral supplement, that he now is able to absorb.

Such a simple thing...........

Target

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit