TIME WILL TELL (Did you fake your hours in Field Service?)

by Terry 37 Replies latest jw friends

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

david 10........whats the other story

• Quentin
    Quentin

I don't remember it being a big issue. Ten hours was the goal and I think there was a quota to meet as regards mags and books, but maybe not. When I lived at home we were out every Sat & Sun. That amounted to 4hrs a weekend, more than enough to meet a 10hr quota.

Now when I pioneered, that was a diffrent story, I counted every minute I could think, or dream, of. If I went to visit my grandparents, even tho not there to witness, I put the time down. It was a heidous experince. I lasted less than six months. Just ran out of time.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Do JWs actually have to pay for the literature they try to place?

If so, how much?

• Es
    Es

my father (elder)did most of our reporting or if not would check our reports the most i could stretch wa half n hour :( es

• david_10
    david_10

Hey there, tijmko, how's it going? Not only is it another story, it's another thread entirely. I'll work it in when a good one comes along. Thanks for asking.

David

• La Capra
    La Capra

I never even thought of faking my time. I felt horrible that my time was always so low, but I was so brutally shy when it came to intruding on people's peace and quiet in their own homes, that I could barely bring myself to do it.

Just this morning, I realize, my mom must always make up her time. I was with her most of my time (or aware of what she was up to), and there was no way she made the time she reported. Who knows what she does now-I don't care-I'm sure she pads....

I'm glad I never did think of faking my time. If I had, I might have found other ways to survive, thus extending my imprisonment. As it was, 19 years was 19 years too long.

It's a huge relief to realize that most are faking and padding their hours. I used to feel like such crap that I couldn't get more.

Shoshana

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

No. I was scrupulously honest, for all it was worth. My children and I averaged three to seven hours a month. It was all I could do, as I was working full time and caring for five children.The odd part was that since almost everyone else was "padding" their time, the elders just assumed we were, too. Toward the end, I rebelled. I kept going out in service for awhile, but wouldn't turn in my time slip. The book study conductor had to hunt me down at the end of every month to get it, lol. Funny thing is, when I quit giving a darn about my time, I had some really good conversations with people. Field service got interesting. The sisters that went with me seemed to be a little perturbed that I was getting "good calls" when I, in their eyes, exerted so little effort in service while they sacrificed so much every week.It was pretty ironic, lol.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Sick and ashamed.

David

It's easy to feel that way, but it's more productive to focus on the the fact that you woke up and had the courage to change your life and get out. Like many of us, you thought you were serving God and that's a powerful incentive for putting your good sense on hold and acting out in ways that now seem unbelievable. But we all did it. It made us who we are today. Do not despair, you are making up for it now just by expressing yourself here and helping others find freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit