Do JW's stay up late on NEW YEAR'S?

by Donkey Lipz 19 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, some do, but not many. JWs don't need to wait till New Years to get bombed. Many used the conventions as an occasion to gather and drink to excess.

Side points, have you every wondered why the service year of the WTS starts September 1 but they observe the calendar year changeover in other things, such as the changing of times for congregations sharing a KH?

BTW, there is nothing intrinsicly wrong with fireworks. I have been to places such as Disney World and watched firework displays there. But then I know JWs that watch the fireworks for Independence Day festivities and then known others that disappear into the basement w/o windows to avoid a chance glimpse.

Blondie

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

GBL,

PINATAS are pagan TOO donchaknow!

AND i remember a talk from the platform on how evil it was to stay up late on THAT nite and watch the festivities ANYWHERE!!!!

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Once a prominent elder was interviewed on radio. He was asked if JW celebrated New Year?s Eve/fire works etc. He just answered that he never stayed up later than 10 pm. (He is a dry academic, not having children). (Once, a glimpse from a book study situated in his home was aired on TV. It came across as very formal, he even using surnames in adressing the friends attending)

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

If you want to learn the truth, just look at what happens at bethel on new years?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Most generally, I stayed up to watch the Ball drop, and any kids that wanted to stay up could do so too. We never hosted any parties ( would have been a serious no-no) but we enjoyed seeing the New Year come in.

Annie

• ACEofCAD
    ACEofCAD

While living at home, we would usually stay up and watch the ball drop. All of us in our PJ's eating ice cream yelling at the TV "5, 4, 3, 2, 1 yeah!!!" And then be in bed by 12:05.

The last time I was at my parents New Years Eve was in 1999. We were all a little worried about the big Y2K bug. We were waiting for something big to happen, like the power going out right at midnight. We had some of the high school teachers telling us that it was the end of technology as we know it. Electricity, water, gas, traffic lights, cars, food were all going to be affected. Stock up now with food, water and batteries. Take your money out of the bank. Run for the hills, Y2K is coming.

• Mary
    Mary

Do JW's stay up late on NEW YEAR'S?

They sure do. It's called Evening Witnessing.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

This ex-one sure does

Dismembered

"Don't you go dyin' on me now"

• Es
    Es

When I was a jw we did it once with some friends stayed up, drank and watched movies. Now i do it every year but this time I actually get drunk and have a good time

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

yes, practicing their presentations for new year's day witnessing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit