Do JW's stay up late on NEW YEAR'S?

by Donkey Lipz 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Donkey Lipz
    Donkey Lipz

My parents & I stood up late and watched the ball dropped in Times Square on tv....but i like 2 kno IF JW's do it...do they have gatherings on that nite?

Donkey Lipz 05

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I've often watched the party @ Times Square on tv but never celebrated NewYears', per se.

JWs would be counseled for participating in wordly party. And off course the pagan influence of the evening!

-Aude.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

They aren't supposed to treat it as different than any other night. It's a pagan celebration and it's fun. Two very evil things in Dubdum. Unless of course you are, ya know, talking about the day's of the week, pinata's or aniversaries. Thats different.

GBL

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, the large majority do not. but some, incl moi, snuck out every new years for years to revel and run around drunk screaming "happy new year!!! i love you freaking world!!". but i should stress, only a few engage in this type of behavour. perhaps i am alone in this actually...

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

Ohh yesss!!

Almost everyone is having party. Just like the worldly people exept for one thing.

Fireworks is a big no-no.

sam

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Not around here they dont. To be seen , or heard talking about a new years eve celebration would be a real serious issue . (Loss of priviliges?) I have therefore never enjoyed a New Year night out (sigh!) The most one can do is to watch television , but that is naff these days anyway.. Real diehard dubs have to get up for service on New years day. They just love knocking doors of people with hangovers and are still in bed

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I loved New Years'. I never got to participate until I left the bOrg, but it always was such an experience. We had outdoor cats and we had to bring them indoors before 9pm or they'd get freaked. Then the isolated firecrackers and fireworks would increase until 11pm there would be a constant roar which gets louder and louder until midnight and then until 12:30pm it would just be deafening, and it would continue to 1am or later. I don't think many Witnesses would have slept through it anyway. The most incredible New Years' of course was the 2000 one. People were shooting off aerial fireworks from freeway pedestrian walkways and apartment buildings and everything. It was unreal....it was like a war zone, explosions going off all around. By the time I got to my bedroom to go to bed, the sensory stimulation was so intense that I saw phantom images of the fireworks as I went to sleep. The second most memorable New Years' Eve was the one in which our whole neighborhood was flooded that night and cut off from the rest of the county for several days.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Strange how American Dubdom seems to be more severe than its European counterpart. (Either very strict, or some bending the rules to the extreme). When we were in, most witnesses had a gathering on New Year?s Eve, including elders. Not partying per se, but family get togethers with nice food (often turkey, as many non-witnesses also eat at that night), Most watched the fire works as well. Sometimes when New Year?s Eve fell on a meeting night, meetings where often re-scheduled to take place in the afternoon, to accomodate (officially) witnesses having spouses not in the "truth". (This applied also for Christmas-eve).

• barry
    barry

Usually I cant get to sleep from all the fireworks but its great to see them on TV the next day.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

JW friends of mine in Rockport, Texas, used to have a small gathering over for dinner, after which we would sit around watching the celebration on TV and sip champagne. No party hats or horns though, and no one kissed anyone else at the stroke of midnight : (

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit