try this one on

by donald 13 Replies latest jw friends

• donald
    donald

try this one on for size

my dad who owns a busisness...was told he could not do any work for the local catholic church or school...( he had just gotten a big for them)...and he came to find out the elder that forced this issue..( to the CO )...himself signed a contract to do ALL...the churches work...( two diffrent feilds of work they were not in comption with other) my dad has written a letter to the WTBS.....wonder if it will help...what do you think...donald

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

well....if nothing else, he'll learn 1. to base his decisions on his OWN conscience... and 2. the motherhouse isnt gonna care / do anything/ or even reply.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do as we say, not as we do.

Hmmmm... I think a carpenter said something about the religious leaders a long time ago.

• alw
    alw

donald, your dads letter wont mean a thing, he will be lucky to get a reply.

over the years i too refused work on churches, and local tab,(betting shop so as not to stumble other dubs.what a joke. once i remember an elder cautioning me from eating weetabix breakfast cereal, why? because its owned by nabisco, the 7th day adventists church,i still eat it, when i feel like it .

tell your dad when he stands before the pearly gates he will be accounting for HIS conscience not anybody elses. hope he has enough work without that contract. regards mr.alw

• aniron
    aniron

Likewise here a JW brother was told he couldn't do work at an army base.....maintaining vending machines..which did not belong to the army amyway. Yet another JW was allowed to maintain office equipment at the same base. The reason for the difference given was that the first brother was helping to "feed" the soldiers. Whereas the second brother was just maintaining equipment that may or may not be used for military purposes.!!!

I'm also trying to get my head round being warned about eating "Weetabix" on the basis the makers where SDA. Does that mean JW's where not allowed to eat Cadburys chocolate or Rowntrees sweets because the families that owned these were Quakers.

• zaphod
    zaphod

no cadbury's chocolate.

well if i wasn't already out that would have been the clincher for me.

zaphod

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen
    an elder cautioning me from eating weetabix breakfast cereal
    Does that mean JW's where not allowed to eat Cadburys chocolate or Rowntrees sweets because the families that owned these were Quakers.

And 50%off holiday candy is OK, if it is purchased and consumed the day after the holiday? Like a day makes a difference and will sanitize those Santas and Bunnies and Witches, Oh My!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    And 50%off holiday candy is OK, if it is purchased and consumed the day after the holiday? Like a day makes a difference and will sanitize those Santas and Bunnies and Witches, Oh My!

Littleredhen - my dad used to do this too - we couldn;t wait until the day after easter/christmas/valentines day. How utterly ridiculous - I can't believe I went with all this stuff!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Kinda contradicts the fact that (allegedly) a congregation sold its KH to the Catholic Church, now doesn't it?

• ACEofCAD
    ACEofCAD

No Nabisco? That means no Oreos, Ritz Crackers, Cheese Nips, or Chips Ahoy. I've never heard of that before, but I'm not surprised anymore. A couple months of reading posts on this board and you learn a lot.

As far as working for a church, my parents were in a similar situation a few years ago. My parents needing the $ and a Catholic Church needed their floors striped and waxed. They talked to other brothers about it and found out that it would be ok if they were contracted for the job through a worldy company, rather than bidding themselves. Parents decided not to do it because in reality they would be working in the church either way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit