Closure? What has been your experience?

by ljwtiamb 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I'm doing the slowest 'fade' known to JW-kind. However, I have complete peace of mind because I'm free emotionally of the WBTS stronghold.

I go the meetings very seldom just to keep my immediate relatives being civil towards me.

Recently, I've even openly told my husband that the meetings/assemblies/etc. are a pain, boring, and that I look forward to the day in which I won't have to step foot inside a KH again. He took it pretty well. He thanked me for making the sacrifice for him and the rest of the family at least.

DY

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

Wow! What GREAT comments from everybody. It's almost hard to believe that something like this can exist and entangle so many different lives.

u/d: So what do you REALLY think? - lol

By the way ljwtiamb......have you read CoC yet? I remember you made a post about doing so.

Thanks for asking. No, I have not yet. I have just made special arrangements to have the books sent to me.

All of this secrecy and behind the scene activity is probably going to be my final straw. I'm so frustrated that a grown man has to act like a frightened school boy hiding from the neighborhood bully.

Something is definitely wrong with this picture!

• sweet tee
    sweet tee
    There seems to be pride in some to be able to say that 'I left WTS' instead of JWs kicked me out'. Does it really matter, at all?

Did they fire me or did I quit first ... doesn't matter as long as they leave me alone!

It seems that some on other boards were proud of the fact that they left for reasons of conscience. I give them Kudos for that ... I was too plumb dumb to even realize how badly I'd been duped till 5 years after I left.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i agree with the sentiment that in the end, it doesn't matter how you approached it, as long as you are out. kudo's to everyone who gets out.

for me, closure came knowing that i had made my loved ones (friends and family) doubt their belief system/faith for at least a moment by going the DA route. i felt that without evangelizing to them, this was the most powerful statement i could make that, to me, it was not the truth. and it still may work, i have hope.

but in the end, after thinking about it, i would be just as proud being DF'd for breaking their rules, as i would leaving on my own or fading.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    What has given you the greatest peace of mind?

Knowing that after the lie was announced to the congregation it had the phone lines tied up between the local R&F and my ex for a week. I hope she told them the same thing I told her about my reason for DF'ng the Governing Body.... it's all a lie controlled by the debil to keep people estranged from Christ. They would have DF'd me within the week with their version of apostasy so it doesn't matter how they announced it or what it was called.

Thank God, I'm free at last, free at last.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

I could only achieve closure once I realized that Jehovah's Witnesses are not the truth.

Until I read Crisis of Conscience I was convinced that the Watchtower Society was God's channel of truth but individual Elders were screwing up by not following the Bible and the Watchtower. It was only after reading the experience of Ray Franz that I understood the Elders were acting wrongly because they had been taught wrongly by the Watchtower Society.

The weight of the world lifted off my shoulders and I have never looked back or been happier.

• Carmel
    Carmel

I went cold turkey back when I was only 15 yrs old. Never missed the whole mess, including my dysfunctional family. Had a few pangs of guilt and fear, but they were just like a Monday am hangover. Time cures all, including family that wants to put the guilt trip on you and threaten you with labeling. It just never stuck.

carmel

• Mulan
    Mulan
    What has given you the greatest peace of mind?

Time passing.

With each day that goes by, I am more and more content and at peace.

• luna2
    luna2

Hi, I'm brand new to the board and brand new to the realization that JW's do NOT have the truth, so I'm still working on the closure bit. However, I will say that knowledge, real accurate knowledge and not the twisted reasoning from the WT, is what is helping me.

I did the fade. I hadn't thought of it like that when it began, but that's what happened. It started with the TMS. I was under a lot of stress at the time, and it all seemed like a bunch of nonsense; a waste of time. I could literally put together an adequate talk in less than an hour. The school made NO difference in my abilities in the door to door work. I still hated that and stunk at it. So I quit the school. I still went for a while, but I worked ten-hour days and night time meetings really sucked, so I eventually stopped going.

Next was the book study. I was meeting with a group at the KH on Thursday afternoons. Perfect. Lovely group of people with one of the older brothers conducting. I loved it. I told the brothers I loved it. Bad idea. Next thing I knew I was assigned to another book study. Nights, in a dark, cramped livingroom with a wood stove blasting enough heat to make it feel like a sauna. I asked the brothers if I could transfer back to the afternoon KH study, but Nooooo. Have to show submission to the arrangement, don't you know. I slowly stopped going.

All that was left was the Public Talk and Watchtower Study. We all know what the Watchtower Study is like...boring rote answers almost always read straight from the paragraphs. Please, somebody, tell me what the point of that is? Ugh. I'd often skip out the backdoor on days when I couldn't bare to waste another hour farting around listening to people read and re-read what I'd already read. Ugh! The final straw for the Public Talk came when I found myself nodding off during the middle of it one Sunday. I remember waking up on the following Sunday morning and deciding that my heart condition was so bad that there was no point in going. Jehovah knew that I didn't want to be there, what was the purpose in pretending....and that was it.

I'd decided that I was at fault and that I'd return someday. I still thought it was the truth. I've been floating along this way for almost four years. A friend of mine from my previous congregation in Illinois disassociated herself last year. She's been delving into dreaded apostate material for quite some time and just last week sent me one ex-brother's testimony. It struck a cord with me immediately. At first I was upset (oddly enough), but it started me on an exploration of my own and I was stunned at what I've found. It's not the truth! The relief is overwhelming (as is the guilt and embarrassment).

I think, for me, true closure will come when I disassociate myself. I'm fortunate in that I'm the only JW in my family and this impacts them not at all. The few friends I had in this congregation I haven't truly spoken to for the past two years. My best friends from my first congregation are either already out or on their way. It's just a shame it took us 15 - 16 years to see this organization for what it really is.

Eeek...this is long. Sincere apologies!

Sheesh, I know html, but I'm worried that this is going to post wrong. Hope not.

• evita
    evita

I faded over 20 years ago and never really had closure because my mother remained a devoted dub.

Sadly, my mom died in December and with her passing I have lost my only connection to Jw.

So, now I am making my peace with the whole experience and grieving 30 years of lost relationship with my mom. She only shunned me part of the time but it was enough to cause extreme emotional distress and
    damage to our relationship.

I have created a good life for myself. I have to accept my experiences and move on, but it is tough
    as the org had a huge effect on my life.

Evi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit