Car Wash Guilt Complex!!!

by prophecor 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• prophecor
    prophecor

Don't you feel terrible when you take your car to the car wash? The folks who wash your car, immigrants, illegal aliens, and they work so hard and are always there, the same people dilligently washing your filthy car.

Are they not some of hardest working people in America? I'm almost embaressed to take my car in there. " You Amerikkans are so lazy, you won't even wash your own filthy car!!! " I imagine them saying. Why do I have such a guilty conscience?

These folks have such a dedication to their job.........or are they actually getting mad crazy money in tips, reason as to why they stay with such dedication and determination? I don't know JWD, I have such a host of mixed feelings when it comes to taking my gas guzzling behemoth of a vehicle to the car wash. Part of our indolent upbringing in this country. I wanna' hide my head in shame sometimes.

Am I the only one suffering from this bizzare guilt complex?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm the same with Shoeshine men. I work in the downtown area of Dallas, so it is not uncommon to see them in the lobbies or corridors of the tall buildings.

The Shoeshine men are almost always older black men and I am not comfortable with putting them into such a stereotype "submissive" position.

The sad irony is that by NOT using them to shine my shoes, I am effectively making their income less and their life more difficult.

• Satanus
    Satanus

One day, your kids will be renting houses from those guys' kids. Or their kids will be the govt beureaucrats that your kids will have to deal w. No need to feel guilty.

S

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

We use an automated carwash. We don't drive a vehicle that requires hand detailing..... <grin>

In Mexico there are few automated carwashes, instead on a corner lot you have the Auto Banos - car baths. All hand washed. It's business!

In the public squares there are lines of shoeshine chairs. It's business.

On the corner is a young man selling toy rats that skitter around on a string.... I bought one because they are really cool and use it to play with the cats. It is a unique product, and ... It's business.

Those foreigners working so hard are probably sending money home to whatever country they're from. In Mexico the #1 gross national product in 2003 was money coming in from workers in the US!

Many people have a problem with foreign workers coming in to take US citizen's jobs. The sad commentary is that US workers are no longer the ones in those service possitons... "we're too good for that" is the attitude that I've picked up. So many of the foreign workers are just happy to be able to work, and most seem to really bust their butts in their work. The fall-out from this is bad attitudes from customers toward the service workers. But they'd probably have a bad attitude anyway.

US citizens seem to have lost the impetus to work hard. In the US Customer Service is simply lip service to answering the phone and saying "no", usually rudely, much like the David Spade in the credit card miles redemption ad. And now Customer Service department is often in the Phillipines, or India, or Europe, as was my most recent bad expirience with Earthlink.

What is cool, is the fastest growing business area is small businesses, most owned and run by women; started by women who have become disheartened with big corporate america, in their 40's and 50's, who want the flexibility.

My 2cents worth.

PS. I try extra hard to be pleasant and welcoming when I come across a foreigner working their arse off.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I dont feel guilty! I like car washes!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I do at times. It's like, here they are scrubbing or drying off my car, while I sit on my azz watching them! I always, always tip.

When at the airport in Houston, I was appalled to see black men shining shoes because I don't see that up here at all. I thought that stopped in the 60's. Brenda's right--it's business. So I won't knock their hussle!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Someone has to do it.

Dismembered

"Don't you go dyin' on me now"

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Why would I feel guilty about providing an income for someone who is willing to work for it?

• G Money
    G Money

Don't worry, give it a generation and their kids will be fatties wearing baggy clothes (with Raiders logos) and robbing you at gunpoint. That's the american way, no? Their kids will forget the sacrifices made by their parents and will be demanding government jobs (County, DMV, etc.) with many paid holiday where they can stuff their faces with Burger King whilst on break and watch the clock until its quittin time all the while telling you that whatever your request it, it isn't in their job description.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

You know, one of the candidates left on the Apprentice has a shoe shining business. He is also is an EMT.

Some of the much older ones, yeah I guess I do feel sorry for them, but I also respect them because they are willing to work to pay their way, even if it is manual labor. The younger ones though, I think working in a car wash or as a shoe shine worker is their choice in most cases. At least for those that cannot find better jobs they are actually working for their money.

I don't think we should pity these workers, but respect them. I don't feel guilty about getting my car washed....my car could really use a wash a few times a week what with all the pollen floating in the air...I would rather pay to get it washed than do it myself. I don't think I am being lazy, I am just trading $5 bucks to save myself an hour of work a week...an hour I can spend with the kids, reading a book or reading this board. If I couldn't afford it, I would do it myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit