Giving your life for a Brother or Sister, would you have done it?

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Often, we hear that JW's would give their life for a Brother or Sister anywhere in the world.

The more I know JW's, the more I say, "heck no"!

Since JW's believe in the resurrection, why bother?

• blondie
    blondie

Depended on the brother or sister.

• JH
    JH

I would only give my life for one I truly loved, JW or not.

• blondie
    blondie

I don't know; if I saw a complete stranger just about to be hit by a car, I might risk it and pull them out of the way or pull them out of a burning car.

It's not like there is a lot of time to think about it when it happens. Firefighters and law enforcement are doing it all the time, saving strangers that is.

Blondie

• kls
    kls

I never really got to know any jws personnaly because i was the WILD ONE so they just kind of ignored me so the jws i knew ,,,,,NO .

It would have to be a deep ,deep love for me to do it and i know no jw has that love, at least the ones i knew.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! I always said that if I were called upon to give my life for one of my "Brothers" or "Sisters", God would test my resolve to do just that by making it a particular Sister whom I loathed (strong word, rare thing for me, but that is the apt description) for whom I would have to give my life. Nonetheless, I think I would have heaved a great big sigh and done it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think I could risk my life for a stranger, if I thought it would help.

Let's put it another way. Would I play the "trust game" with a JW - close my eyes and fall backwards? Heck no!

P.S. Would a JW even consider me a "sister"? Perhaps I would not be in adequate standing to receive "love". This is the whole problem with the JW system. Almost nobody can even associate with another.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I never had to do it, or face anything remotely like it, so I think it presumptuous to say "Yes"

But - all I can say is that when I was a motivated dub, then I would have been fully resolved to do so. The concept of brotherhood was strong. In name at least. You may not like them all but viewed them as Gods fellow workers . To die for them was really dying for God , which you were prepared to do if necessary.This was was dinned in from an early age. The expectation of persecution was made real, I guess to keep us on our toes.

Soldiers die for their fellows, I believed that Christians should too.

• JH
    JH
    The concept of brotherhood was strong.

The concept of family also is strong.

I would find it stupid for a married brother to give his life for a stranger JW from another land, and leave his family (wife, kids) in trouble....

• skyman
    skyman

Yes I could. But it depends on the situation. For exsample in the spring of the year while the rivers are running high I would not jump into the river to save a JW or anyone else except if the person was one of my own children then would. So if I thought I could save the person Yes I would.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit