Do You Shine on Your Job?

by prophecor 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• prophecor
    prophecor

Have you noticed that some people just have that certain star appeal on the job? Some folks have an almost celebrity status while others prefer to stay quietly in the background. Many just are naturally popular where they work. Are you out in the forefront where you work or do you keep yourself under cover, preferring not to draw attention to yourself? Do you take your job seriously by giving attention to it with the greatest of care, or is it just a means to an end?

• under74
    under74

All the jobs I've had so far have been a means to an end. I'm finishing up grad school now and I'll need to find a new job soon....hopefully it'll be something I shine in...although I'm usually not one that likes to draw too much attention to myself(unless I've been drinking)

I just want a job that I'm good at, pays the bills and isn't too "all consuming" in the way a few other jobs have been.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Well my dear prophecor...since I am the official domestic slave around here and try desperately to keep my toilet bowl spotless...yes...I guess you could say I shine on my job.

Cathy L.

• tweety
    tweety

At my last job, I was a IT supervisor for a large company. I came into the company and tried to shine the brightest and I succeeded very

successfully. However, I will NEVER do that again. You have no time for anything except meetings after meetings after phone calls. Then there is the 50 emails a day that you have to read and respond to. People who come to you complaining and whinning about every little thing. Co-workers not getting along.

At the end of the day, you pay the price for standing in the spot light. If I every work in a large company again, I would be so quiet that no one would know who I was.

Dee

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

I own my own art business and love what I do. I belong to many networking groups and love to go out and party. Last night dh and I were at a black tie affair where one of my pieces was auctioned off. I will never go back to working for someone. Owning your own business is a lot of work, but at the end of the day, what you put in is what you get out.

HS

• Carmel
    Carmel

I believe in doing 110% and enjoying it so I guess I have to admit to "shining" so to speak. Though, my preference is to have my actions speak for me rather than too many words. Seems I always end up in the lead one way or another as I seek out innovative people to associate with. This leads to a synergy that is highly motivating and creative and tends to put one in the spotlight frequently.

carmel

• Lehaa
    Lehaa

yep I sure do.

I'm the best danm mother my kids are ever going to have.

Yeah I love my job, would never want to swap it for anything. I give it my all, and my kids know that.

They're great kids and I love them more than anything.

• fairchild
    fairchild

I try to stay unnoticed at both of my jobs. I don't like to be the center of attention, I used to be a juggler/magician, and I never liked being on the stage. However, it is tough to stay in the background at the place where I work during weekends, because I'm the only female worker there. I put up with a lot of sh*t from my co workers. I used to work full time there, but it wasn't worth putting up with it all, so I recently asked to be put just on weekends and as a fill in where needed. it is much easier now, with less hours and less stress.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I try my best to...theres always been this inner drive to be the very best at what I do...I have had some great results too as a result but I tend to be quite unassuming outside of work life. In work i try to shine...outside of work I dont try at all.

DB74

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

It's just a means to an ends as there are no long term career prospects where I work, but its about the best I can expect to be paid as someone who is completely unskilled and just generally good at blagging it. My heart is with my art and hopefully one day I can give up full time employment and spend more time doing what I want to do - whether it makes money or not! I try to keep a low profile and am the quietest in my office probably. I try to do what I do well thouhg, so there is no excuse to replace me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit