All this new JW.org stuff is hurting my brain

by Nosferatu 18 Replies latest jw friends

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

DesirousOfChange

very good point. That is probably much more realistic. I always had to real myself back into ignorance but it never sat with me, I thought there was something wrong with me and I was just a "bad person". And still I always felt like reading anything they call "apostate" would cause me to get struck by lightening. 

Its a house of cards. They are protecting from being toppled so I imagine they are going to get more and more critical of education, and staunch on reading only JW propaganda. But in the process i think they are going to create enough of their own wind to knock down the house of cards for many. 

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Village Idiot - "As I mentioned in another thread it looks like there is a 'worldly' PR man behind all of this rebranding going on."

Not all that surprising, considering just how "worldy" the WT leadership themselves seem to be getting.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

No. It's not your age, but it is the "age" into which you were born or have grown up.  The computer age.  It's now, regardless of a person's age. 

I agree.  I had many "red flag" moments growing up in this religion, but it wasn't until I was around 19-20 years old and working in my career that had internet access that I started looking online to answer my questions.  This would have been 1998, and all I did was type in "Jehovah's Witnesses 1914" into the Yahoo! search engine.  Imagine the search results that came back to me and the mountain of information I had to sort thru, and this was in 1998!  It was a domino effect, and the effect is still continuing on thru today as I learn things from the past, from long before I was born or even my grandmother was born (1918) from long-time researched members like Blondie, etc. 

I will sometimes state my age as a frame of reference for others reading.  In hindsight, the 1980's were a critical decade I believe.  It was after 1975, during the Cold War, and Ray Franz had just released his book.  Meanwhile, the WatchTower released an entire series of articles in 1984 (ironic I know) focusing on 1914,  The Generation, Biblical Prophecy, etc that whipped everyone into a frenzy that lasted up thru the early 1990's.  The End just HAD to be SOON, because the old geezers born in 1914 were up in years, and the Great Tribulation would HAVE to erupt.  Even as a young child, it had a great impact on me.  After 1995, the balloon of urgency started to deflate, and it has been nothing but flaccid since then.  The evolution of this cult is such that we are left with what we see now, a mere shadow of what once was.  It truly is unrecognizable from the religion of 30 years ago.  2014 marked 30 years since those WatchTower articles, and also the 100 yr reign of Christ proposed by the WT.  And here we are!!!!  15 years ago my young 20-year old self was floored that we had actually made it to the year 2000, a date my parents (and traveling speakers) assured everyone we would never see this side of the New System.  Now, my 35 yr old present self can look ahead 15 years and see age 50 being in this old System of Things.  It was something that I was not prepared for, at ALL.  I was told (no, promised!) that I would NOT grow old.  In 15 years, my son will be 25.  He has never set foot into a Kingdom Hall, so I guess I should be thankful that I have spared him the mind-rape that we have been thru.   

And as for the WatchTower? There is ZERO sense of urgency emanating from that cult about "The End" or anything else like it used to be.  Forget that type and anti-type "rhetoric", that's "Old Light."   The focus has shifted drastically from end-times apocalyptic doomsday bible-thumpers, to real estate and techno-cool hipster dufos flavor-of-the-day, all smiles, join our happy-happy joy-joy everyday run of the mill religion.  Look at our new website and apps!  Look at the cool new age churches......errr.....Kingdom Halls we are going to build, with all the latest techno crap crammed into a sterile box that looks exactly the same no matter where you go!   Come visit our new worldwide Headquarters up in the middle of New York, next to a lake, where we suppress outside information and work the slaves half to death!  While you are there, be sure to kiss the pinky rings and Rolex watches of our Spiritual Overlords, the REAL 144K living it up in the ivory towers.  What an incredible sight to behold.  I do believe I heard the Harlot nearing her Grand Climax upon the Wild Beast. 
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The singing cart, that is so laughable.  I am torn on this some.  I agree that back in the day, growing up as a JW was serious business, and that things like the "Happy" video or singing Motown hits in Kingdom Halls in Detroit seem like things that would have led to judicial committees.

On one hand, I kind of feel that were I still a believing Witness, I would be glad they aren't such stuffed shirts anymore.  On the other hand, I get that so many older members can remember being spanked, punished, disfellowshipped, shunned, having their dreams crushed when they were younger.  

I look at the cart witnessing as more dumbing down of the response to the public.  As a former JW, I see the cart needing to be off to the side and out of the way and I can appreciate how these recruiters are not knocking on my door so much and are not in my face with their message, but as someone who was in the recruiting work, I find it difficult to believe that they now just stand there near the cart and try to avoid conversations with the public.  And my limited encounters with these cart Witnesses showed me that they are not at all prepared to answer questions.  So overall, I see cart witnessing as just a way to keep members busy and feeling like they are "serving Jehovah."  

JW Television extremely smacks of television evangelists.  I am FOR it though, because encouraging young ones to go there will cause them to look at other things on the internet.  And older ones probably just think it's all whacko.  I am reminded of the "Knocking" video made by a non-JW with family in.  No matter how much he tried to paint JW's in a good light, they just looked bizarre to outsiders.  I am confident that JW television would do the same for the tiny percentage of outsiders that watch it.  

That they have become a parody of themselves is a good way to phrase it.  The jw . org logo on their shirts or blouses is the strangest one of all to me.  I could see it on a Kingdom Hall or on the sign for a convention, but to encourage individuals to wear it on themselves is likened to idol worship.  The Jehovah's Witnesses I joined would say so and ban such items.  

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

William Penwell:  It is like putting lip stick on a pig.

It is as though by using comic strip characters, cartoons, animation and a colorful web design WT is hoping to liven things up in an attempt to hide the 'dark' side of the organization that the general public associates it with:

1.  WT's disapproval of higher education.

2.  WT's no-blood doctrine (that has ended the lives of tens of thousands of young and middle aged prematurely).

3.  WT's harsh and cruel disfellowshipping, disassociation and shunning policy.

4.  WT's stiff stand on no-celebration of many fond-of holidays and observances.

5.  WT's disapproval of politics, government and military. 

6.  And in recent years the many WT molestation cases that have surfaced. 

7.  WT's hard-hearted and hate for the gay community.

Lip stick or no lip stick...a swine is still swine!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@JW GoneBad...

Nicely put.

You're right, it's all a smokescreen; misdirection.

If they really were to "mainstream" - and thusly reform all those things you listed - they wouldn't even be Jehovah's Witnesses anymore.

• Gayle
    Gayle
    Wondering if these "Happy" you tube and happy singing literature carts songs will spark for some to request other happy songs like new Kingdom songs (existing songs sound like death marches).  Their youth are desparate for some happiness.  After all, most of their youth are leaving.  The GB are going to have to get more creative. 
  • done4good
    done4good

This is all lipstick on a pig...

Nothing of any substance has changed, if anything, despite all of this happy-happy, joy-joy stuff, the organization is even more totalitarian and controlling than ever before. Once the euphoria and novelty wear off, not only will the youth be leaving, but a good many older ones as well, since nothing of any substance will be left, (not that there ever was much, but at least at one time the illusion of such existed...)

d4g

• Stirred
    Stirred
    Many in 40s 50s still not used to Internet and not really fishing for info. My husband is one of those. He is only of recent years basically navigating to Netflix, news, some email. I still have to bbasically guide him. I showed him YouTube .  He still thinks it is the Truth nut we are talking and he is open as long as I dont show him any angry, obviously lying, over the top stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit