All this new JW.org stuff is hurting my brain

by Nosferatu 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

So I just watched the singing cart video. I literally cannot describe how I felt watching that.

Growing up as a JW was serious business. We had to take the preaching work seriously, watch our conduct, give a good witness by our actions, and be on our best behaviour to ensure we made it through the great tribulation.

When I was a child, I had dreams of being a cartoonist. I remember mentioning the idea of making a JW cartoon that would help preach the good news. The idea was shot down and I actually got scolded for it. Now they have that Sparlock and Caleb crap.

I once coloured and painted in my copy of "My Book of Bible Stories". I got a beating for defacing Jehovah's books. Now they have downloadable colouring pages and connect the dots activities.

I remember one particular assembly we had where some of the brothers were talking about giving a Kingdom Melody a rock beat and how wrong it was. Now we have songs about singing carts.

And yeah, the carts themselves. This is serving Jehovah with your whole heart? I can throw a bunch of literature on a cart and walk around with it. Does a recycling cart count?

And the whole JW broadcasting thing. After seeing Jimmy Swaggart crying on TV and having Oral Roberts beg for money, the last thing I thought I'd see is JW Television. But here it is.

I guess I always expected the JW religion to stay the same no-fun dictatorship that it was when I left. I never in my wildest dreams expected them to turn into a parody of themselves. Just when I thought I had dealt with most of the issues I had when I left, they create new ones that just screw with my mind. It's just like when I found out (years later) that they changed the Generation of 1914 teaching. Finding out they had changed it made me extremely angry for a long time. Now that they've become everything I thought was wrong and worldly, I'm blown away again. I just can't wrap my mind around it.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Its become unbearable. They were playing the new song 137 the other night... they just played the music through once, it was so uncomfortable i left, and took wife with me who is not a fader like me. I said that song just sounds strange, she says its just because its new. This religion has become a full on wacky fest. When that alarm went off on the whole generation, they have quickly traded in doctrine for coloring books, real f%$#ing quick. 
  • Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri
    Childish, moronic, sickening beyond belief. Shameful. What sane person would direct people to that crap?
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

(1 John 2:15-16) . . .Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world."

They don't seem to quote this much any more do they?

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    It is like putting lip stick on a pig. No matter what they do to flower it up it is still la controlling cult. The WT realized that to keep the young ones in they have to make the message more entertaining.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    As I mentioned in another thread it looks like there is a "worldly" PR man behind all of this rebranding going on. The Governing Body simply don't have the imagination to come up with any of this. They must have sensed the general malaise within their members and decided to get professional help (of the wrong kind) to deal with it.
  • Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Now it is "Serving Jehooba with your whole cart"!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

@ Nosferatu:

Your opening post could have been written by me, as it expels upon exactly how I feel as well.  The Generational mind-f*ck was hard enough to take in, now all of THIS crap?  But then again, look at the "why".  I am 35.  Of the 10-15 people in my age group from the local Kingdom Halls and that I went to school with, I believe 2 are still "in".  Everyone else left.....even ones I thought at the time were "die-hards" got fed up with it before they were 21 and LEFT.  Some were DF'd, but most just did a "fade", wherein they moved out of their controlling parents homes, moved away, and never set foot into a Kingdom Hall again.  Seeing the "dignified" religion of my youth turned into this worldly, pathetic, undignified, joke of a cult has really left me with my jaw on the floor.  If my parents were still alive, they would be OUT.  No way would this fly with them.  No way.  My late mother died in 2007, and as I reflect on just the past 8 years it looks like a different religion.  My mom was pretty much out anyway (had all of Ray Franz's books before me!) and if she'd be alive today she'd call pure BS for sure. 

This cult has sold out, jumped the shark.  They are as irrelevant as Scientology, and just as big a joke.  The hypocrisy to have an internet TV channel showing 3rd world crap-hole congregations barely surviving, while you are wearing a designer suit and $22,000 Rolex, is just too much to handle.  It's a real sight to behold.  I'm glad I never donated much money as a child to this farce of a religion.   

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

WingCommander

do you think 35 is give or take 5 years is some magic number where we have had enough? It seems like older ones and younger ones are the most gung-ho for this dribble. Or maybe it goes 35-45, I don't know just speculating, but maybe out generations experiences have given us some sort of intolerance expiration date for this crap

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

do you think 35 is give or take 5 years is some magic number where we have had enough? It seems like older ones and younger ones are the most gung-ho for this dribble. Or maybe it goes 35-45, I don't know just speculating, but maybe ou[r] generations experiences have given us some sort of intolerance expiration date for this crap

No. It's not your age, but it is the "age" into which you were born or have grown up.  The computer age.  It's now, regardless of a person's age.  It took me until my 50s to begin to awaken.  At 35 I was still FULL-IN.  But I had no way of knowing all of the info that is so easily accessible online today.  Today there is no excuse for the ignorance unless an active-JW is choosing to be ignorant -- choosing not to research their doubts.  And if they don't have doubts or questions about what is going on, then they are just stupid and helpless and probably better off staying in so they have some hope for change and betterment.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit