Why No Disfellowshipping Before 1952?

by blondie 72 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

First, those SCENIC VIEWER quotes a great. Will use them later.

Also, for anyone whose been around pre 70s and 80s, Did it seem to you that there were relatively few disfellowshippings in the 50s and 60s as compared to 70s and 80s (post 1975/apostasy)?

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Also as a side note, there is an article in an older WT that basically denounces the Catholic Shurch for excommunicating their members, the WTBTS calls it unscriptural.

It's a very intersesting article. I would think that someone here would know where it is from.

NJY

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Another great thread!

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Very interesting thread.

BOC - I've been thinking about your question. It seems to me that there were a lot of DFings during the late 60s, particularly among young people.

In my area we also had a major purge when large groups of people began to declare themselves as part of the anointed. I don't recall the year, but it was likely around the 1975/apostasy.

But aside from that, I don't feel like there has been any real change in numbers.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Excellent topic to revive! Thank you Blondie for starting this important thread.

Bookmarked

PS: can someone please post the WT or Awake articles and date which Df'ing is pagan? That would be much appreciated.

• clarity
    clarity

In 1960 there was only 2 disfellowsiped (spelled wrong, think I'll leave it)

in the congregation that I joined(so stupid!!!)

It was actually announced that bxx jxxxx was dissed for drinking!

>

I was quite new & didn't really understand it. Another, later that year

was df'd because she had "committed fornication" when she was were 14!!!!!

Was now in her 20's!

Strangely at that time, the 'punishment timeout' was most always 1 year!

You could count on a year!

what a mess they have dreamed up..

clarity

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

I hope someone can post a link or photo of the January 8, 1947 Awake.... there's an article titled, "Are You Also Excommunicated?"

I have a jpg of the article, but don't know how to post it...

Some gems from this *jewel* of an older publication:

"... excommunication, as a punishment... finds no support in these scriptures. In fact, it is altogether foreign to Bible teachings..."

"... papal excommunication is not without pagan influence..."

"... as the pretensions of the Hierarchy increased, the weapon of excommunication became the instrument by which the clergy attained a combination of ecclesiastical power and secular tyranny that finds no parallel in history..."

I hope someone can find this and post it somehow.

• sd-7
    sd-7

There was an Awake! (or was it still Consolation back then? I forget) article in the late '40s that said ex-communication was pagan. I used to have a copy of that page...

Even with that said, to a JW it'd still be apples and oranges and wouldn't compute for them.

--sd-7

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Band on the Run,

The radio announcer on WBBR was Andy Wagner. He was my uncle.

Coffee

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Are You Also Excommunicated?

(If this scan is too wide, click the small double arrow icon in the top right of this page, by Options. This may prevent having to scroll back and forth to see the whole scan, depending on the size of your display. Later, click the parallel line icon to restore it to normal. )

(Awake 1-8-1947)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit