Dr Who ... revenge of the BBC !

by Simon 30 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

The latest episode of Dr Who really made me laugh - the BBC script writers made some quite subtle but pointed digs at the government wo had previously 'won' (unfairly) after appointing their own judge as to whether the BBC or the Government lied about Iraq.

The PM got killed.

Downing Street got destroyed because of aliens with ...

Weapons of Mass Destruction that could be launched in 45 minutes seconds (which in the end turned out not to exist)

Brilliant. Up yours Tony !

• Seven
    Seven

lol "exterminate "

• Simon
    Simon

Our youngest (5) is absolutely enthralled by Dr Who and looks forward to it all week. Next episode has the Daleks in it and he didn't stop talking about it from when it was on till when he went to bed (and even then he was still babbling on about it!).

Our eldest (7) takes things more seriously and heads upstairs whenever anything remotely scary comes on. He sits on the stairs asking "what's happening?" until it's 'safe' to come back.

They are chalk and cheese. The youngest sat through all three Lord of the Rings films (extended versions!) in a weekend and was not the least bit frightened by the Orcs etc.., "'cause he could easily beat them if he was there"

• Englishman
    Englishman

I wasn't impressed. The aliens all looked and talked like Mr Blobby.

Englishman.

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, that was what Dr Who was always like

• Seven
    Seven
    Yeah, that was what Dr Who was always like

Yeah, but isn't it great though? I can watch those old episodes over and over while I play with my little plastic daleks and K-9. I was able to pick up quite a few of my favorites on DVD from BBC Video-Spearhead from Space(with those faceless mannequins) and Carnival of Monsters both from the Pertwee years.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Somehow only Tom Baker will ever work as Dr Who for me....

He was "over the top" enough to make it all work...

:-)

• Simon
    Simon

I think the new guy is playing it for laughs as well and pulls it off (it's the Mancunian accent that does it ... you can believe that someone who speaks like that rules the Galaxy )

Tom Baker was the Dr for me as well though. Partly because he was the longest running and partly because he was slightly over the edge ....

• Ring Wielder
    Ring Wielder

Am i the only person in the world who thinks that Dr Who is crap!! Maybe i just dont get it (got that in before you did) but i hated when i was a youngster...except for the daleks...how to get away from a dalek..run up the stairs.

Is this a pantomime..something for the kids...something for the adults...Billy Pipers mother is a sex starved bimbo..who wants Who to get in the sack with her the moment she sees him...if its for kids...Why on earth put scene like that in the first episode?...totally irrelevant and hardly entertaining for the grown ups!

Also..Billy Piper is downcast for all of one nano second when she believes her boyfriend has been swallowed by a wheelie bin and is dead. The next scene she is gleefully running along with the DR with a big smile on her face.

It doesnt work on any level with me...Its not funny..its not realistic...its devoid of any intelligent ideas...It is pretty pathetic! And no..i havent watched it since the first episode..which was cringeworthy IMHO.

Maybe I wouldnt feel this way if everybody hadnt raved about it and a whole night was spent previewing it on some channel.

I dont know...maybe i was dropped on my head as a baby

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I too find the current series awful...

What I used to like in the old Dr Who:

1/ 4 part stories - allowed much better character and story creation.
    2/ Tom Baker was really nuts - brilliant - new Doctor actually seems sane but acting nuts - doesn't work for me.
    3/ The cliffhangers with the music at the end gave me the chills and made me watch the next week - now its all over in one episode - rubbish (momentary like for the end of the last two part episode.) The whole point about the music is it heralded something spooky and exciting.
    4/ Adventures didn't always involve earth

What I dislike:

1/ The dialogue is crap (it always was) but this time they are pretending to speek about feelings and stuff which was always implied previously - not discussed at length.
    2/ CGI graphics - Dr Who was more believable because of the otherworldy feel of the monsters (a bit like the old Star wars v the new far weaker cgi fueled star wars.)
    3/ The tardis - Dr Who was running around making it work with a hammer...?????????
    4/ The new assistant has three modes: Running around with an idiotic , I've just made luv, smile on her face , puzzled farawy, navel gaze as her single brain cell vainly tries to comprehend her mobile phone, puppy dog gazing at the Doctor who is clearly an ugly wierdo alien - however since her last marriage I can't blame her on that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit