Do U Drive @ 55?

by prophecor 37 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Those who zig zag their way through the crowds doen't get anywhere, either, and are prone to cause an accident

Sooooo, Brenda. Exactly when did you meet my husband? lol

I have been known to cover my eyes when that maniac is driving, and he is not allowed to drive my car unless he makes "the vow" before getting in behind that wheel...

• G Money
    G Money

In Mexico they have things to slow you down. Topes (speed bumps) and many times in small towns they are not marked. They will destroy your car if you drive fast over them. Many times there will be an open stretch of road and at night no lights. If you speed, then plan on thousands of dollars worth of damage.

The other thing is Mexican freeways at night. Mainly livestock worries. I almost hit 3 cows at 3.45am leaving Guadalajara the other week. I know on the road to my one home, there are always horses and cows in the road at all hours so I drive cautiously.

Never saw livestock on the cutoa highways (toll roads) and they were also marked so you could see the road with your lights on versus the average Mexican highway at night resembling the black hole.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Is it me, or do the Police seem pretty tollerant of those who don't over-do it, say 65-70mph?"

Our local newspaper publishes a daily list of all traffic citations. Yeah, I know ... there's not much "news" around here. I've never seen a citation listed for anything less than 10 MPH over the limit. I've also been told by an Indiana State Police officer that this is their official 'unofficial' policy.

If the speed limit is 55, I usually set the cruise control at 64 or 65 around here. And as others have said, if the traffic is moving faster, so do I ... kinda like being on the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago. The speed limit is 45 just south of downtown, but if traffic is going 75 ... then so am I. And the cops will not stop you on the Dan Ryan because they don't want to impede the flow of traffic.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I live in New Jersey, does that answer your question? It's literally impossible to drive at 55 here (except maybe on side streets).

• prophecor
    prophecor

I live in New Jersey, does that answer your question?
    And you sound perpetually pissed because of it.
    ( jk )
    I love rt.42-A.C. E-Way. Some of the greatest driving highways in the Deleware Valley. One of the greatest things about living in Philly is going to the shore and hittin' the Atlantic City Expressway for the shore. 65 ( legal )MPH+, and excellent care has been given to your roadways.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

And you sound perpetually pissed because of it.

Living in NJ will do that to you; just ask Tony Soprano...

• Simon
    Simon

Driving very slow and driving very fast are both dangerous IMO. It seems nost sensible to drive at the speed of the traffic which is usually around the speed limit, sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

What matters most is being alert and sensible.

Personally, I think all the ABS, traction control and air-bag nonsense is a big mistake as the safer cars are, the more risks people take - they should make cars out of balsa-wood, then people would be careful !

- Simon, of the "been driving 20+ years without any incident whatsoever" class (and get's there quickly)

... oh, and 20k+ miles a year in case you think I drive to the shops and back once a fortnight.

• love11
    love11

It's 65 around here.

I always go around 60-70, I sure wish I had cruise control.

Oh well, next car.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit