The JWs worst aspects for you are?

by greendawn 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• greendawn
    greendawn

Which JW doctrines, collective personality traits and general history do you find to be the most destructive or disagreeable?

I personally found the doctrine of the other sheep which makes the Christ inaccesible to most JWs, the devilishly complicated moral code, and the hideously totalitarian behaviour of their leadership to be the worst things on a long list that I've prepared regarding what's unacceptable to me in that society.

I remember when I was arguing with the elders about the FDS and their claim to total spiritual supremacy and they were telling me that the idea of democracy departs completely from their way of thinking, here they have a theocracy and that even "talking about the right things at the wrong time" is basically a crime in other words sit and wait for the FDS to reveal it at the so called right time, and I should accept things as they are and not as I want them to be otherwise I get thrown out.
    That more than anything else made me hate this org and want to leave it, my mouth nearly dropped open to tell them: you can staff your FDS and his insane delusions you know where.

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?
    "talking about the right things at the wrong time" is basically a crime in other words sit and wait for the FDS to reveal it at the so called right time, and I should accept things as they are and not as I want them to be otherwise I get thrown out.

Greendawn, good post.

My experience has been the same. I learned to accept that waiting on Jehovah has nothing to do with waiting on the org. Only God knows the day and the hour and that never stopped the organization from projecting their ability to predict that day and hour. Have they ever been right?

Let them wallow in their excuses. That's all they have.

• garybuss
    garybuss

A theocracy without the god is just plain old Fascism.

I'm not interested really in teachings. I'm more interested in their behaviors. Their beliefs never hurt anybody.

• Flindersgirl
    Flindersgirl

A theocracy without the god is just plain old Fascism.

I'm not interested really in teachings. I'm more interested in their behaviors. Their beliefs never hurt anybody.

Good comment and an apt one...that's actually what interests me as well. You can believe whatever you like...but its when those beliefs leave the realm of the "private" and begin to be prescribed to a large group of disparate people regardless of the consequences that it gets messy and troublesome. Taking it back to the personal, I have always thought that if my mum wanted to be a JW that would have been fine but did she have to make her children's lives miserable as well? The imposition of the faith based behavioural systems (no holidays, no hanging out with people that aren't JW, no proms, no boyfriends the list goes on and on) makes life difficult for Witness children in that not only is life very 'grey' (nothing like hanging around waiting for everyone to DIE at Armageddon to give one a cheerful childhood) but it ostracises and marginalises young people in ways that are sometimes very difficult to get past later in life. Some never do...

Cheers

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

The distrust - can't tell what their motives are, except that they may simply be "in their own best (?) interest" at any time

and betrayal, which follows the above

It seems the higher up in the org, the more Judas like one needs to become.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

away from me, I don't know who you are

• zaphod
    zaphod

the loving act of shunning.

just a way to stop you telling your loved ones what you found out when you left.

and calling anyone who finds out this stuff an apostate if they try to tell their family and friends.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gary:
    Their beliefs mold their behaviours (e.g. blood transfusion, shunning, etc.).

For me it would be the shunning, since it's the most destructive.

From a doctrinal perspective their sheep and sheepfold class distinction is unhealthy, leading to their application of Jesus' Mediatorship.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Greendawn:

The most repellent thing I hated about the JWs was their hang up about titles and labels. This I found to be most in opposition to Christ and his ministry. They were always denouncing the RC church but I always felt they were emulating them in some way.

LHG

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The belief that only they will be saved, and God only listens to their prayers.

DY

• M.J.
    M.J.

Their propaganda machine and disregard for objectiveness and truth in order to gain your dependency.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit