Jws or adventists?

by melmac 25 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Not all cults & religions are as bad as each other. Some actually own up when they recognise they have been wrong. When does a so called cult become a religion? An offshoot from seventh day adventists - a so called cult called the worldwide church of God, which was originally led by H Armstrong, published the following in the 1980s: Can you imagine WTS ever following this example? The article was headed forgive us our trespasses:

The Worldwide Church of God, sponsor of the Plain Truth magazine, has changed its position on numerous long-held beliefs and practices during the past few years.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Forgive us our trespasses

The Worldwide Church of God, sponsor of the Plain Truth magazine, has changed its position on numerous long-held beliefs and practices during the past few years. We are acutely aware of the heavy legacy of our past.

Our flawed doctrinal understanding clouded the plain gospel of Jesus Christ and led to a variety of wrong conclusions and unscriptural practices. We have much to repent of and apologise for. We were judgemental and self righteous ? condemning other Christians, calling them ?so-called Christians? and labelling them ?deceived? and ?instruments of Satan?. We imposed on our members a works-oriented approach to Christian living. We required adherence to burdensome regulations of the Old Testament code. We exercised a strongly legalistic approach to church government.

Our former Old Covenant approach fostered attitudes of exclusivism and superiority rather than the new covenant teaching of brotherhood and unity.

We overemphasized predictive prophecy and prophetic speculation, minimising the true gospel of salvation through Jesus Christ.

These teachings and practices are a source of supreme regret. We are painfully mindful of the heartache and suffering that has resulted from them.

We?ve been wrong. There was never an intent to mislead anyone. We were so focused on what we thought we were doing for God that we didn?t recognize the spiritual path we were on. Intended or not, that path was not the Biblical one. As we look back, we ask ourselves how we could have been so wrong. Our hearts go out to all whom our teachings have misled in the Scriptures. We don?t minimise your spiritual disorientation and confusion. We earnestly desire your understanding and forgiveness.

We make no attempt to cover up the doctrinal and scriptural errors of our past. It is not our intention to merely paper over the cracks. We are looking our history squarely in the face and confronting the faults and sins we find. They will always remain a part of our history, serving as a perpetual reminder of the dangers of legalism.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

JWs.

Adventists seem more strict with their rules.

DY

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

DY

Yes, like no alcohol. The difference is however that they don't make you obey them as rules, it is a matter of conscience.

For me that's a huge difference. You don't have to obey or be disfellowshiped.

• melmac
    melmac

Yes, the reason I asked is that CT Russel took a lot from adventists. The similarities are striking. Even now some adventists are trying to introduce non-trinitarianism into the religion, something that can have interesting consequences.

In a nutshell, however, not much difference.

• Frog
    Frog

personally I think the adventists way of life further incringes on your lifestyle, can't eat poor piggies, or crustaceans, and have to obey the sabbath after sundown friday to sundown Saturday's. As far as I know nightclubbing, homosexuality, and alcohol is all strong prohibited. They also encourage teenage baptisms and excommunicate people. My first job was working for an Adventist family, although a lot of the held beliefs are similar in a way, at least I, to a degree, had the option of going out in FS on a Saturday morning, and didn't have to worry about pre-cooking meals the day before and all that. At the end of the day it's a hypothetical question and not really relivent, but if I had to choose being raised as a dub or an adventist, I'd probably say dub...

• barry
    barry

Their are different versions of SDAism all in the same church.

Conservative Adventism. Has a catholic theology and has cultic doctrines

Evangelical Adventism. Beleive the Protestant doctrine of ' righteousness by faith' some still have some watered down cultic beleifs others reject the cultic beleifs altogether.

Liberal Adventists. Christians from all churches have there liberals they are just liberal.

The real differences between the JWs and the SDAs is that different beleifs and groups in the JWs just wouldnt be tollerated. The control the JWs have of there members is unthinkable in the SDAs or other churches.

The SDAs are really quite progressive they have women pastors, have developed their understanding of homosexuals and in a church not far from here we have a member who had a sex change to a women.

SDAs dont disfellowship or mark or shun. Disfellowshipping was voted out at the general conference in 2000.

Ok SDAs do have there nuts more than most one minister once said an SDA couldnt be a policeman but I still dont know why. Some dont beleive they should go to the doctor but when they get sick they allways do.

Im an SDA and I would consider myself in the evangelical group without cultic doctrine.I do have my dissagreements with the church and voice my opinions very clearly at church meetings with no risk of punishment a JW might suffer. I ususally begin by making clear that what I am saying is against church policyand then giving my opinion. In fact a few years ago we had a JW study family join our church they went around all the churches and found they had the most freedom in discussion in the SDAs than any other church.

I dont beleive the SDAs are any better than most mainline churches and if I wasnt an SDA would have no problem in the Anglican or some other church.

• barry
    barry

Jaffacake,

Des Ford is still an member of the church as was Robert Brinsmead up until he joined the Lutherins. The fact is we even love our apostates.

• blondie
    blondie

Barry, thanks for giving us a more up-to-date view of SDAs.

Are there any websites that you recommend for anyone interested in additional info?

http://www.adventist.org/

http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html

• barry
    barry

Gday Blondie,

I would like to recommend Spectrum magazine as an up to date view of Adventism. Spectrum is approved by the General Conference of SDAs and has articals on a wide range of subjects and range of idears in the Church. On this site will be progressive idears on Homosexuallity, women as pastors, evolution v creation debate called the faith creation conference that the church has held over the last few years.

The site is http://www.spectrummagazine.org/church/ss/041206ford.html Here is Dr Des Ford commenting on the lesson which is like the WT study. Dr Des Ford is mentioned in Ray Franz book Crisis of Concience. Proof that we still love even our apostates.

You could look up 'Good News Unlimited' or Dr Desmond Ford,s site.

Doug Batchelor is a prominent SDA but I couldnt support his theology.

These can be all be looked up on the net butr Im not haveing much with links right now.

Ok its working now

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit