Meetup.com is enforcing a monthly charge

by Nosferatu 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman
    Our group has about 30 members, and we have as many as 15 show up for things.

wow, I'am impressed, I don't even know (personally) 10 ex JW's here in the Netherlands....

and never heard anything re support groups.....

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Just changed my picture over there...

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

The Toronto group has 57 members but we rarely have more than 4 people show up. I stepped down as organizer recently, and I see no good reason to start paying. Meetups can easily be arranged here, or through email.

Walter

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

::wow, I'am impressed, I don't even know (personally) 10 ex JW's here in the Netherlands....::

Well, CW, our group is for stay-at-home moms..not ex-JW's. We do have a pretty good turnout most days...and other times it is just the same 3 or 4 moms with their kids. We went to Hershey Park on Sunday for a special discount day they were having, and it was so fun to have people to go with and switch off kids with while going on rides. I can't ride many things because I am pregnant, but my son had a blast with his little friends. I even convinced my husband to come out with us on his day off!

I looked and there isn't one of Ex-JW meetups within 75 miles of me. I thought about starting one...but not now with these fees!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Well people, I've set up a new site to organize Meetups, and it's FREE!!!. This is in no way competition for JWD. It's for organizing meetups across Canada only. Sorry, but I won't be moderating forums for cities all over the world :)

If you want me to add your city and make you an "Organizer" and Moderator of your meetup group, contact me at [email protected]

Here's the site:

http://www.angelfire.com/ex2/canadianexjws

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

I just sent a webform comment from their site stating that I do not appreciate their taking advantage of people by charging (which I call profiteering) people for their grief, misery and suffering from people who have suffered from a cult. Especially other type of groups such as cancer survivor groups, loss of loved ones groups, overcoming drug addiction groups, gambling addiction groups, etc.

Profiting from such groups as mentioned above in unethical and plan wrong. A donation button like "Donate Paypal" would suffice more and logical sounding rather then enforce a charge. I know sites costs bathwidth and someone has to pay for it. But to enforce a charge doesn't sit well with me simply because of a site such as meetup.com.

Now if it was like a dating service, well, that's different.

Yiz

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Not to put down your website Nosferatu, but I like to help people.

I built what I hope is a better website for you and if you like it, I can zip it and email it to you. The site isn't finalized as I need more input from you first and do the finishing touch before emailing it to you and you can upload it to your website's server. Let me know how you like it. And you do like it, let me know what else you like for me to add to the site and I'll have it done.
    Your Test Website

Yiz

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman
    our group is for stay-at-home moms..

well that (stay-at-home moms) is rather common here, groups are not.....

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Profiting from such groups as mentioned above in unethical and plan wrong.

No it isn't. They're providing a service. They have the right to charge for that service. They do not claim to be a charity or promote any political or religious cause. They facilitate meetings between like-minded people.

A donation button like "Donate Paypal" would suffice more and logical sounding rather then enforce a charge.

Perhaps you could set up a site and run it on that basis.

I know sites costs bathwidth and someone has to pay for it. But to enforce a charge doesn't sit well with me simply because of a site such as meetup.com.

The charge is not "enforced". It's completely voluntary. If you want the service they provide, you must pay the charges they demand. If you do not want that service, you do not have to pay.

I don't particularly like the fact that this charge has been introduced either, and I even think it's a bad idea from a business point of view, but it's a free market. If you don't want it, don't buy it.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

funkyderek,

So you have no problem charging for rendering services for groups like cancer survivors, child molestation survivors, groups that relates to mental, emotional and physical sufferings and make them pay for a service like meetup.com so they can set up support groups such as the ones mentioned above?

Sounds like profiting off the misery of others.

Yiz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit