Meetup.com is enforcing a monthly charge

by Nosferatu 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Hey all, just wondering what your thoughts are on the $9 monthly charge that meetup.com is enforcing. I am the organizer of my ex-JW meetup group, and personally I feel as a volunteer, I shouldn't have to pay anything except my time, work, and devotion for a support group. I'll be working on an alternative to meetup.com for my monthly meetups.

How about you?

• blondie
    blondie

I got an e-mail too. I just unsubscribed because there was never enough interest on meetup.com.

Now we have our own little group, attended first one last week and 2nd tonight.

$9 if you sign up before May 19? isn't it and then $19.95 monthly?

Blondie

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

<running off to unsubscribe NOW>

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

What I'll be doing is putting together a website and message board especially for the meetup group that already exists. There's quite a few members in my group, and I'd like to keep it going. Off to angelfire and proboards to make a FREE meetup site!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

You can post any meetups and events at my calendar at www.theWatchtower.org - no charge ever but you will need to register.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Thanks for the link, Nicolaou!

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I too recieved an email from the Meet up and I am not going to be paying either.

Nos. you live in the Toronto area don't you? If you are going to have a group could you let me know as I would like to be a member if I could.

thanks

love Orangefatcat.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Just an additional comment on Meetup.com, I have no clue how they're going to survive starting new meetup groups. Becoming an organizer means taking on the responsibility of paying $19 per month.

Nos. you live in the Toronto area don't you? If you are going to have a group could you let me know as I would like to be a member if I could.

Hello OFC! I live in Winnipeg, but I may incorporate something for others who want a place to provide information for their meetups. It's an idea, and I may go through with it. With the software I'm thinking of using, I can provide other areas for specific meetups. I can also appoint moderators. If you like the idea, I'll be willing to share :)

Once I put it together (this weekend), I'll post a link to it so you can have a look.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well im the group leader for 3 XJW groups, but I've yet to have anyone show for a meetup, so I too will cancel my subscription, or whatever. Its pointless to pay money for something that wont ever pan out.

Dave

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

I belong to a Moms group on meetup, and the charges were a slap in the face. We meet at least once a week, and the organizer puts a ton of effort into finding different and cool things for us to do. We voted, and we decided to host our own board on a server the one mom has and find a way to advertise ourselves locally. But of course, you can't please everyone, and people are complaining about this and that. Our group has about 30 members, and we have as many as 15 show up for things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit