What do people do in a discussion that ticks you off?

by Terry 29 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

We use to have a certain few that would change a thread into "pizza toppings time". If THEY thought the thread was beneath them, they'd ask what was your favorite topping. They don't post much anymore. Methinks they are working at Papa Gino's.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I find if I like a person, there's nothing they can say to piss me off. If I don't like someone I'm ready to turn on the flamethrowers 30 seconds after they open their mouth.

I like intellect and a good thought out challenge. I like it when I'm wrong. That's the only way I can learn and grow.

I have about eliminated everybody from my life who is not nice to me and people who are important to me. If a person crossed the decency line with me once, they are on the train back to town, pronto. I messed around with bozos too long.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I love to discuss, debate, even argue a bit. What I don't enjoy, is when there is a basic lack of respect between participants in a conversation. Things like chronic interrupting, name-calling, eye-rolling or other mocking gestures just make me want to end the conversation and walk away.

• trevor
    trevor

I hate it when I post a considered and sensible response to the subject in hand - only to be ignored in favour of few people who want to start discussing some irrelevant messy bodily function or talking about how much they love their pet.

I would much rather be sworn at and insulted than ignored and there are those who have obliged me and I thank them for this.

The Invisible Man.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Terry:

As you mentioned, one of the things that ticks me off is people taking something personally when it was not meant for them.

We must not lose sight of the fact that most of us are here because we have been hurt by the JWs. Our experiences may differ depending on our gender, geographical location, mentality, income, etc. We also came away with different things from the JWs. Quite simply, we are here to vent and maybe make friends. I am not in competition with anybody nor do I expect to win a prize for literature.

LHG

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

that very much depends on my mood. and on how often i have already had a discussion on the topic. but what really drives me nuts is when someone simply ignores arguments and keeps on repeating some schedule. that often happens in bible-discussions.

when i offer some argument or contradiction or whatever, others often simply go on "you can only be saved by believing in jesus". i bet you know what i mean. happens all the time.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Example: I happen to enjoy esoteric subjects such as astrology and tarot and spirit guides, and have posted articles about them, only to have some on the board post their thoughts in such disrespectful ways that it takes any desire on my part to continue the discussion. I don't understand why some must be so disrespectful of others who believe differently from them. Why can't kindness be displayed? Terri

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Dogmatism, especially concerning "subjective" subjects

Other than that I'm pretty hard to upset. I love the banter, even when it gets intense, though it loses it's appeal when folks get upset for no apparent reason (or perhaps take out a bad day on the anonymous people around them).

Good thread!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Drink the last of the coffee....but I guess someone has to.

In a live conversation, I hate it when people continue to interrupt. Especially after I ask them to allow me to finish.

In a business setting, my senior got mad because the men in the group were dismissing her information. She called them on it, and one of the men blew her off and said that she was PMS'ing. I stood and told that guy's boss that if this continued, I'd see that sexual discrimination charges were filed. It was dropped like a hot rock and they actually opened up their tiny brains and listened to her.

In a thread I don't like being attacked for my opinion; someone trying to convince me that what I believe is wrong. It doesnt happen often.

Oh yeah, and those who are only capable of shouting scripture and cannot have a "normal" conversation without it.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I hate it when people take something a way it wasn't meant or assign bad motives to you. What I really enjoy is the humor I find in many people who post, and I wish I could be as humorous as some of you are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit