unforgivable sin

by MerryMagdalene 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The expression seems to apparently been a simple distinction between the sins against men (meaning of "son of man" and sins against God. (here referred to as Holy Spirit out of conservative Jewish concern about associating God with sin.) The expression was ellaborated and expanded by the Gospel writers according to their own reinterpretation and sentiments. blaspheme the son of man

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I was taught that this basically means that true apostates can never get reinstated if they D'A themselves or get D'Fd...that scared me when I was younger. At the same time, it bothered me more that some monster like dalmer, bundy or john wayne gacey could have been forgiven for their terrible sins. But not the apostate, no matter how peaceful.

How screwy is THAT???

That's how I was raised too. What I can't seem to understand about them though is how they equate their organization to God. Yes, I know, I grew up in the the stupid religion and know how they pick and pan the scriptures to support it, but to me...THAT is sinning against the spirit. Making yourself God...making your religion God...instead of letting God stand on His own merit. If I were God, I'd be thinking "How DARE you think you understand me as fully as you think you do. I AM GOD. I don't need an earthly organization. I AM GOD." As angry as I have been at this organization (and my parents) I know there are times where God is in heaven just screaming and crying with the rest of us because of the pain JW's have inflicted in "the name of God". (Not just JWs mind you, but all men in all religions.)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

We were taught that there were just a few people in the bible who committed the unforgivable sin of sinning against the holy spirit.

They were: Adam and Eve, Judas Iscariot, I think the Pharisees and maybe a few other people. But who knows, maybe with their changing new light they may say "criticizing the elders" is an unforgivable sin. In which case I am guilty.

LHG

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    What, though, if you make a serious mistake? Perhaps you feel like King David, who ?walked about sad all day long? because of his errors, or sin. But this very feeling may be evidence that you have not gone too far and committed an unforgivable sin! (Psalm 38:3-6, 8) Feelings of guilt may show that one who has sinned has an honest heart and a good conscience. So how can the guilt be handled? Well, have you prayed for God?s forgiveness and taken steps to right the wrong? (2 Corinthians 7:9-11) If so, have faith in the mercy of the One who forgives in a large way, while determining not to repeat the sin. (Isaiah 55:7) If you have been disciplined, do not ?give out when you are corrected, for whom Jehovah loves he disciplines.? (Hebrews 12:5, 6) Such correction has the purpose of helping to reestablish a straying sheep. It does not detract from his value as a person.
  • mnb77
    mnb77

"To sin against the Holy Spirit"---now i believe and disagree with some of what the JW literature says, but the way I have understood this is, once justified before God by accepting Christ's sacrfice and allowing the HS to dwell in your heart as a seal for the resurection, a person would blasphmee (sp?) against the HS or give credit to the devil for something that 'God the HS' did.

mnb77

• mnb77
    mnb77

I've been thinking since my last post on this... The JW say that the holy spirit is an impersonal "active force" but how can you sin against something like that?

the reason I ask this is because of one of the posts on what the Jws say about sin against the HS. how could they know if it is only a force?

mnb77

• Flash
    Flash
    the reason I ask this is because of one of the posts on what the Jws say about sin against the HS. how could they know if it is only a force?

mnb77

That's a good question. I think it has to do more with whom the spirit originates and that would be God. The fact that Jesus made the statement and not the WTS makes it an important mystery to solve.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, i was always taught that if someone apostasized, as per the WTBTS definition of "apostacy", then one has commited the unforgiveable sin. "working against the holy spirit". but their definitions are hazy, and all over the place. i would say, IMO, that based on their writings, many of us have commited the unforgiveable sin. sweet!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit