unforgivable sin

by MerryMagdalene 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Tijkmo's post on watson's "hypothetical" thread got me wondering again...just what the heck is it to sin against the holy spirit according to JW beliefs/teachings? Anybody?

For something so important as to be "unforgivable" it has always seemed awfully vague to me (so vague that I was sure as a kid that it must be masturbation and for years I felt the great weight of ultimate doom heavily upon me).

Is it intentionally vague, do you think, just to keep everyone on their toes and hyper-paranoid or am I missing something? Is it something the GB uses as part of their control strategy?

Just curious.

~Merry

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

When I was last associated, it was considered unforgivable to 'sin against the Holy Spirit'. But that was never defined.. lol

*hears circus music in the GB star chamber sessions*

Lets face it. The GB made up the entire thing in another lame attempt to control gullible sheep-ses.

J

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    just what the heck is it to sin against the holy spirit

It's to call oneself "spirit directed" while at the same time protecting child abusers.

Walter

• mouthy
    mouthy

In MY opinion after reading scripture it is NOT recognizing your Creator. Jesus Christ.
    Since Scripture tells us ( if we believe Scripture)that if we dont , we are cut off!!!
    in MY opinion to be "cut off" from God is a lost feeling.A place of great darkness. That is why we are told to "come to the light" ...
    I would rather believe the way I do! ( even if it is wrong) than to get to the end of my life- & find out NOT believing is a what the scripture says it is. No I dont believe it is a burning fire- but if it is anything like I felt like when I was DF ----I dont want it. So I will go on believing in HIM - & if all of you that dont believe is right !!!!! I still dont have to worry do I? I only rot!!!!

My two cents.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Dead-on, Walter! Amen.

~Merry

• garybuss
    garybuss

Rutherford wrote that the Holy Spirit quit working in 1918. It'd seem hard to sin against a striking ghost to me.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Awake! 2003 2/8:

The

Bible?s Viewpoint

Is

There an Unforgivable Sin?

IS THERE a punishment worse than death? Yes, death without the hope of a resurrection because one has committed an unforgivable sin. Jesus said that there is a type of sin that "will not be forgiven."?Matthew 12:31.

The Bible, however, describes God as being forgiving. Although men can be prone to hold a grudge and withhold forgiveness, God ?forgives in a large way.? (Isaiah 55:7-9) In fact, at great cost to himself, God sent his dear Son to earth to be a propitiatory, or covering, sacrifice so valuable that it could blot out our sins.?John 3:16, 17; Acts 3:19; 1 John 2:1, 2.

In due time God will resurrect many who have been guilty of serious sins but who will no longer be accountable for their past actions. (Acts 24:15; Romans 6:23) In fact, Jesus said that with the exception of the unforgivable sin, "every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven." (Matthew 12:31) So you may wonder, ?What could be so terrible that it is unforgivable by God??

Past

the Point of Repentance

Jesus? warning referred to willful and deliberate "blasphemy against the spirit." There is no acquittal for this type of sin. "No, not in this system of things nor in that to come," he added. (Matthew 12:31, 32) Those guilty of such sin will not be resurrected.

What is blasphemy against the spirit? It emanates from the heart, revealing a malicious attitude and intent. The purposeful intent to oppose God?s holy spirit intensifies the seriousness of this sin. To illustrate: In some parts of the world, the law distinguishes between murder in the first degree and murder in the second degree on the basis of intent and the way the murder was committed, and it limits capital punishment (death) to intentional or premeditated murder.

The apostle Paul was formerly a blasphemer but said: "I was shown mercy, because I was ignorant." (1 Timothy 1:13) To sin against the holy spirit is to oppose it willfully. It involves a wicked heart condition that reaches the point of no return.

Paul was evidently referring to this kind of sin when he wrote: "It is impossible as regards those who have once for all been enlightened, and who have tasted the heavenly free gift, and who have become partakers of holy spirit, and who have tasted the fine word of God and powers of the coming system of things, but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance." (Hebrews 6:4-6) The apostle also said: "If we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left."?Hebrews 10:26.

It was the conduct of some religious leaders in his day that prompted Jesus to warn against the unforgivable sin. But they did not heed his warning. In fact, they had him killed. Later they heard undeniable evidence that the holy spirit had done something miraculous. They were told that Jesus had been brought back from the dead! It was clear that Jesus was the Christ! Still, they acted wickedly against the holy spirit by paying the Roman soldiers to lie about Jesus? resurrection.?Matthew 28:11-15.

Warning

to True Christians

Why do true Christians take the warning of the unforgivable sin to heart? Because although we have accurate knowledge of God and of the activity of his spirit, a wicked heart could develop. (Hebrews 3:12) We should be careful not to think that this could never happen to us. Consider Judas Iscariot. He was once a faithful follower of Jesus. He was chosen as one of the 12 apostles, so he must have had good qualities. But at some point he began to let wicked thoughts and desires grow, and they eventually overtook him. During the period of time he was an eyewitness of Jesus? incredible miracles, he was stealing money. Then, for money, he knowingly betrayed the Son of God.

Some people who were once faithful Christians have purposely drawn away from God, perhaps because of bitterness, pride, or greed, and are now apostate fighters against God?s spirit. They willfully oppose what the spirit is clearly accomplishing. Have these individuals committed the unforgivable sin? Jehovah is the final Judge.?Romans 14:12.

Rather than judging others, we do well personally to guard against committing secret sins that can gradually harden our hearts. (Ephesians 4:30) And we take comfort in the fact that Jehovah will forgive us in a large way, even of serious sins that we have committed, if we are repentant.?Isaiah 1:18, 19.

• Terry
    Terry

If you are a sinner and learn how to be forgiven you choose whether you will accept the method of forgiveness: accepting Jesus as your substitionary sacrifice. In effect, you say, "Okay, let that innocent man die in my place so I don't have to." Now, you are off the hook for Adamic sin. The sin you inherited by being Adam's relative. Clean slate.

How will you live now?

You accept help (since you have a fallen nature and can't make good and perfect decisions without help) from the Holy Spirit.

However, if you know better than to continue doing proscribed things and yet choose to do them; you are now NOT forgiven. Why? You are acting IN SPITE OF knowing it is wrong as informed by the Holy Spirit.

In effect, you are taking off your bullet proof vest and risking a .45 calibre through the heart.

Think of your forgiveness as a one-way ticket. Once you get on Flight 777 to Paradise you give up your ticket. If you force the plane to land so you can rob a bank, you can't get back on. There is no ticket left. You are on foot now and on your on. This is unforgiveable.

Terry

p.s. (I'm speaking here AS THOUGH I actually believe these things. I don't. But, I use to.)

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Interesting, Gary!

Thanks, Narkissos, for info direct from the WTS.

Now I can't help but ask: who claim to have been "once and for all enlightened" and to have "tasted the heavenly free gift" and been "partakers of the holy spirit"? Surely not the rank & file J-dubs ! But only those who claim to be the spirit-led FDS.

~Merry

• greendawn
    greendawn

Or to add to what Walter said, to try to pass yourself off as a prophet and representative of God on earth (when in fact you are an impostor before God and man) trying to profit out of a fake status.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit