New Pope!

by nicolaou 52 Replies latest social current

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Josef Ratzinger

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

alt

Cardinal Ratzinger was born into a traditional Bavarian farming family in 1927, although his father was a policeman. His studies at the seminary were interrupted during the war when he was drafted into an anti-aircraft unit in Munich.

His supporters say his experiences under the Nazi regime convinced him that the church had to stand up for truth and freedom. But his critics say he stands for suppressing discussion within the church. Wolfgang Cooper, a commentator on religious affairs in Germany, says the cardinal could become a divisive figure.

"I think if Cardinal Ratzinger was pope a large distance could grow between the leadership of the church and the faith," he says. The cardinal is a "scientist" who "prefers intellectual discussions", says Mr Cooper, whereas many Catholics want priests and bishops "who will touch the hearts".

Cardinal Ratzinger has been a head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith - the Vatican's guardian of orthodoxy since 1981.

As such, he has also taken some uncompromising political positions, calling for pro-abortion politicians to be denied communion during the US election campaign for instance, or arguing that Turkey should not be admitted into the European Union.

As pope he would give the church a clear, if sometimes radical voice.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

no wonder they changed his name to benedict

• blondie
    blondie

Big surprise!

I guess the Italians got aced out again.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Infomation on the new Pope:

RATZINGER, Joseph (1927-

Birth. April 16, 1927, Marktl, diocese of Passau, Germany. Besides his native German, he speaks English and Italian.

Education. Superior School of Philosophy, Freising; University of Münich, Münich (doctorate in theology).

Priesthood. Ordained, June 29, 1951, by Cardinal Michael von Faulhaber, archbishop of Münich und Freising. Further studies, 1951-1952. Faculty member, Superior School of Philosophy and Theology, Freising, 1952-1959; University of Bonn, 1959-1963; University of Münster, 1963-1969; University of Tübingen, 1966-1969; University of Ratisbon, 1969-1977; vice-president, University of Ratisbon, 1969-1977, expert, II Vatican Council, 1962-1965. Member, International Theological Commission, Vatican City, 1969-1977.

Episcopate. Elected archbishop of Münich und Freising, March 24, 1977. Consecrated, May 28, 1977, Münich, by Josef Stange, bishop of Würzburg.

Cardinalate. Created cardinal priest in the consistory of June 27, 1977; received the red biretta and the title of S. Maria Consolatrice al Tiburtino, June 27, 1977. Attended IV Ordinary Assembly of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, September 30-October 29, 1977. Participated in the conclave of August 25-26, 1978. Special papal envoy to 3rd National Marian Congress, Guayaquil, Ecuador, September 16-24, 1978. Participated in the conclave of October 14-16, 1978. Attended I Plenary Meeting of Sacred College of Cardinal, Vatican City, November 5-9, 1979; V Ordinary Assembly of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, September 26-October 25, 1980; relator general; member of general secretariat, 1980-1983. Prefect of S.C. for Doctrine of Faith, president of Pontifical Biblical Commission, and president of International Theological Commission, November 25, 1981. Resigned pastoral government of archdiocese, February 15, 1982. Attended VI Ordinary Assembly of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, September 29-October 28, 1983; president delegate; member of general secretariat, 1983-1986. Attended II Extraordinary Assembly of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, November 24-December 8, 1985; member of general secretariat until 1987. Attended VII Ordinary Assembly of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, October 1-30, 1987; member of general secretariat, 1987-1990. Attended VIII Ordinary Assembly of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, September 30-October 28, 1990; member of general secretariat, 1990-1994. Attended Special Assembly of World Synod of Bishops for Europe, Vatican City, November 28-December 14, 1991. Bishop of title of suburbicarian see of Velletri-Segni, April 5, 1993. Attended Special Assembly of World Synod of Bishops for Africa, Vatican City, April 10-May 8, 1994; IX Ordinary Assembly of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, October 2-29, 1994. Attended Special Assembly for America of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, November 16-December 12, 1997; Special Assembly for Asia of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, April 29-May 14, 1998. Vice-dean of College of Cardinals, November 9, 1998. Attended Special Assembly for Oceania of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, November 22-December 12, 1998. Special papal envoy to 12th centenary celebrations of creation of diocese of Paderborn, Germany, January 3, 1999. Attended II Special Assembly for Europe of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, October 1-23, 1999; X Ordinary Assembly of World Synod of Bishops, Vatican City, September 30-October 27, 2001. Special papal envoy to the jubilar celebrations in the diocese of Regensburg, Germany, October 6, 2002. Dean of the College of Cardinals and bishop of the title of the suburbicarian see of Ostia, added to Vellteri-Segni, November 30, 2002. Papal legate to the celebrations of the 750th anniversary of the canonization of St. Stanislaus, bishop and martyr, Kraków, Poland, May 11, 2003.

Bibliography. Allen, John L. Cardinal Ratzinger : the Vatican's enforcer of the faith. New York : Continuum, 2000; Ratzinger, Joseph. Milestones. Memoirs: 1927-1977. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1998. Cool Archive

• scotsman
    scotsman

He's not going to be the Pope to welcome women, homosexuals or married priests into the church. Hopefully this pontificate will be shorter than the last.

• minimus
    minimus

He looks like a real BASTARD!

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

His Italian Nickname is already "Papa Razzi"

Is it worrisome that the last time the Pope took the name of Benedict (XV) was just prior to WWI?

I bet there will be a few persons out there that see a bad omen in that.

-Eduardo

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

May I ask everyone what is wrong with the New Pope?

I mean what did he do reallythat makes you say awful things about him? I don't know much about the whole matter.

You say he looks like a bastard but really is he? Just because he looks like one doesn't mean he is one! I look nice but I can be a Bitch!

We all hated it when JW's judged us and we complian about how we are treated! Why are you doing the samething? Give the guy a chance he may surpise you!

Brooke

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Give the guy a chance he may surpise you!

Totally agree...so far hes a homophobic,conservative non-reformist...oh and of course German

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit