has this happened to you???

by donald 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

I went to college in my early 40s. One of the best things I ever did.

• ScrappyKat
    ScrappyKat

Yes, it happened to me, I didn't even do year 12. And now I'm almost 32 and having to study to get a half decent job, and I'm finding it really dificult. But hopefully next year I'll get a nice public service (government) job, where I can work on making my way up the ranks, and really contribute to the family.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Donald:

I wish you all the best.

Evilforce:

You mentioned how the one telling you not to get a college already HAS a degree! Of course, he will never be faced with the problem he is inflicting on everybody else. Too bad all the middle aged bros/sis. who never got their degree can't go to him to get him to pay their bills! After all, aren't they poor because he promoted this bullshit? Doesn't he bear some responsibility?
    But even a moron could see that a person with no education makes less money. Less money means less money for the WT.

The hypocrisy of these eff..ng bastards just sends me!! Either the goddamn
    hypocrites already have a degree or are set up in a great business. Poverty will never touch them. But it's alright for you though!

They have no accountability.

LHG

• Dustin
    Dustin

Donald

It sucks that the JW religion ruins lives by forcing us to give up our hopes and dreams. But hopefully you can find some happiness now. Good luck to you.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yes as usual these hypocrites are always like "Poverty is such a noble endeavour"..... YEAH, For someone else!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Evilforce:

You can see this is one of the major issues I have with them. Probably more than the doctrinal issues. I really hate them!

Someone once told me that brothers with a college education have a problem accepting counsel. So what this boils down to is that the WT don't want people to have an education because they want to keep them "down". I assume they feel an uneducated person is more pliable. So this is about control.

What makes this even more reprehensible is that they are obscuring the real reason they are against it.

LHG

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

This is GREAT encouragement to go back to school!

If I do go back, post WT - mid 40s, what is a good field to begin studying?

What are you finding as good courses?

• zaphod
    zaphod

dear donald

i went back to college aged 30 and will graduate with a ba hons degree in a couple of months.

as i studied and opened my mind to new thoughts i discovered the real reason why the jw are so anti higher education.

it develops free thinkers who ask questions. i wish that i had done it years ago. all those wasted years.

zaphod

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I'm of the opinion that a four year degree in any field accomplishes a few things, but mainly gives the student an ability to think, argue, and form an opinion for himself/herself. That's what the WTBS is afraid of....people who think and ask questions!

• Quentin
    Quentin

"I'm of the opinion that a four year degree in any field accomplishes a few things, but mainly gives the student an ability to think, argue, and form an opinion for himself/herself. That's what the WTBS is afraid of....people who think and ask questions!" Couldn't have said it better. 30, 40,or 50 when you go concentrate on what interests you, I did sociology, anthropology and history, now I'm a Land Surveying Tech, go figure. Whatever you do, do it because YOU LIKE/ENJOY it. A friends father told us once: "a college degree shows you can be trained". I like to think it shows a little more than that, but I got the point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit