DOES THE BIBLE CONTAIN ANY VALUABLE OR USEFUL FACTS AT ALL???

by Terry 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dh
    dh

jesus wept

• Jez
    Jez
    So too in the time following Jesus' death. Stories circulated everywhere as each viewpoint was told by word of mouth. Questions, arguments, counterarguments always end up calling for an arbitration process. Voila! Things get written down and attributed to the highest authority possible to prove who is right and who is wrong.

Great post Terry. I agree. I have always thought about the time when Jesus was on the earth. SO much of the story had no eye-witnesses. Ie. How do we know what Pilate really said to Jesus and how Jesus responded? The disciples were not there. How do we know how the Mary/ressurected Jesus conversation really went? Mary did not write it down? She TOLD someone, who told someone, who told someone.....How do we know about the 3 wise men? Mary and Joseph did not write a bible book, no they told someone, who told someone, who told someone....I could go on and on, but i am sure you get the picture.

Ever play the telephone game? Passing a simple sentence down the line and then see what the last person heard? It is never the same as the original message.

Nope, the ol' "the bible tells me so" or "God inspired it." doesn't work for me. And if you believe just because someone says, "God inspired it" or "God inspired them to write down the facts.", you scare me.

Jez

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Rabbits chew their "cud".

• mnb77
    mnb77

the bible talks about not having sex outside marriage, this is good because it forewarns about sexually transmitted infections, just cause the word doesn't say it doesnt mean God didn't know it would be a problem as everyone sleeps with everyone else.

mnb77

• Terry
    Terry

the bible talks about not having sex outside marriage, this is good because it forewarns about sexually transmitted infections, just cause the word doesn't say it doesnt mean God didn't know it would be a problem as everyone sleeps with everyone else.

mnb77

I think this has more to do with personal hygiene than sex. If the Bible gave specific information about WHY transmission of disease works and how to prevent it the result would accurately repel the resulting infections.

But, if, as you say the Bible is covering that possibility with a general warning about sex; then, it really hasn't done much to communicate either the actual problem or bring about the solution.

Now has it? No. I personally would attribute this failure to communicate to the fact there was no Divine Personage dictating anything at all. It was a witless human who knew nothing about either bacteria, virus or contagion. Hence, the resulting caveat is tepid and irresolutely expressed mush and not accurate data.

But, that's just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Terry

• Daunt
    Daunt

Making the claim that having sex only in marriage foretold sexually transmitted diseases is kind of just a claim. It maybe a foretelling or a command to stop sexually transmitted diseases or it could mean that the elders wanted all the young virgins to themselves while everybody kept to their women. Without evidence my claim can be just as viable as yours.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

mnb77:

the bible talks about not having sex outside marriage

Not really. For men at least, there is no specific prohibition on premarital sex in the Bible. The patriarchs had multiple wives and concubines, and even used the services of prostitutes.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl
    The whole world is not a better place because everybody is jumping on everybody else's bones.

I'm not sure there are many anthropologists that would agree with this statement.

CG

• vitty
    vitty

If it was inspired by God. Why oh why did he make it so complicated. Its a maze of riddles and contradictions (im sorry but the WT explanations were never good enough for me)

If it means our lives depend on this book of valuable and useful facts then why have only a small minority of the whole of mankind (say) theyve found it

eg If he knew sex outside marriage, would harm mankind why didnt he explain how and why in detail. Instead he just says "dont do it". If the bible knew about bacteria why not explain what it was, and how to prevent it.

• Terry
    Terry
    If it means our lives depend on this book of valuable and useful facts then why have only a small minority of the whole of mankind (say) theyve found it

Ummm, not enough Full Time Pioneers??

Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit