YESTERDAY'S "SPECIAL TALK"

by Mary 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Frog
    Frog

oh how bl**dy disappointing! Here I was getting all wound up that there might be some twisted "new light" delivered at this well advertised "special" talk...I can't believe that's all it was??????????????????????????????????????????

• Mary
    Mary

Well, you should never try to second guess Mother

LMAO.....ya, unless your name is Norman Bates! What a bunch of idiots. I think people are starting to catch on that these "special meetings" are nothing of the kind, it's just the same regurgetated crap from the last 60 years........

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I think people are starting to catch on that these "special meetings" are nothing of the kind, it's just the same regurgetated crap from the last 60 years........

As I've many times mentioned before, I have undergone such a series of changing emotions since I left the WTS 5 1/2 years ago. For some reason, I (all of us?) came away from assemblies, Special talks, etc, always nodding and smiling to others and everyone exclaiming WHAT a good talk(s) it was and so forth. It was practically programmed in as we talked about it on the ride home.

The really frightening thing is, that a lot of times I didn't feel that way---but never admitted it even to myself ! Looking back on this, I shudder to think just how terribly brainblocked I was, just automatically spurting out the appropriate responses like everyone else.

The even more frightening thing of all was that I wasn't even aware that I was thinking like this! It took leaving and looking back to realize just how much I resembled one of a herd of cows, just going through the motions and not even actively thinking. I know it's been discussed to death here, but when you make the connection on a personal level the reality can be shocking. At least it was for me.

When we multiply this by 6 million JWs, it isn't a pretty picture. The WTS/GB are masters at deception and mind control. I find this very scary.

Annie

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I knew an older sister who attended the conventions in NYC in 1953, 1955, and 1958. She stayed at Tent City and told me that the program was piped in over speakers and that they did not go to the main convention site but listened there at Tent City. Does anyone else remember that?

Yes, we were thre in '53 and '58 and stayed in trailer city, next to tent city, in 1953. I was almost 8, so I had a great time with all the other kids. I remember they had a store for us, with basic food supplies, bread, milk, ketchup, etc., a big shower area and the talks piped in. We did go to the stadium though, and only stayed to listen, at trailer city one day. It rained a couple of days and the straw that was thickly spread all over the ground, smelled very strong. Funny the memories that come back.

In 1958, we stayed in a private home in Manhattan. That was nicer and I was older.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Mouthy dear that convention in Ottawa was at Lansdown Park if memory serves me.

Memories galore.

Oh Thanks Terry !!! I was Landsdown- It poured with rain & in the end we had to sleep in the womans washroom.4 adults & a baby,,,on the floor. Memories???? Was that the year we had a tornado go through & we were all standing & singing a song? & it passed over? the headlines in the paper the next day seemed to imply it was to save US>>>>>

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I think so Mouthy, I had forgotten about the tornado. Yes we were singing the last song. Interesting how one remembers one thing and other remembers something else. We were forturnate as we stayed in the Holiday Inn just below the parliment buildings. One year it was on July first and at midnight they had fireworks at the Parliment Hill and thousands and thousands of Canadians singing Oh Canada and we could hear that all the up in the Holiday Inn. The fire works were magnificent.

Yes those were the days. Funny Mulan and Blondie my mother would never go to any convention if she had to stay in a tent. She hated going camping. She was always the one that did nothing but complain about assemblies. Mind you if I was her I would have probably too, with all that ironing for days of the convention and trying to keep everything wrinkle free. My mom just couldn't handle the stress of four girls and a husband. I swear to God my mother and father did more yelling and screaming during assemblies. They fought tooth and nail. And to think us girls had to listen to how much my parents were so devoted to the truth. I couldn't figure it out in a million years. Then you go into a meeting all smiley smiley as if you were the most theocratic family in the world. Made me ill. Yuck. Oh why oh why didn't I leave the organization a long time ago. I guess I was so brainwashed. Thats the only reason I can think of.

Love Orangefatcat

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

The last one of these that we were invited to pretty well ticked me off too. I remember sitting there through the introduction and when the intention was made known, I gathered up my three children and turned to my now ex husband, "I'm going home. You can either come with us or catch a ride home with your daddy."

He caught the ride home with his daddy. Later I found out that he told everyone that the kids had not been feeling well and that I left the assembly out of respect for others since the kids would have prevented others from being able to concentrate on the message.

Wimp!

Jeannie

("can't stand wimps" class)

• Preston
    Preston

Dear Sweet Jesus,

They're really cracking the whip (CRACK!!!). How can they be so blasé about randomly and freely assigning the sheep to go wherever they damn well please to hear a marketing pitch. At least Amway has their employees offer dinner first. As Evil Force hinted, you would have to be on some serious drugs to shlep all the way to hear a talk about as special as seeing the history of Swedish Cabinet Making on the Discovery Channel. I would be doing lines on my reasoning book.

- Preston

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

As I've many times mentioned before, I have undergone such a series of changing emotions since I left the WTS 5 1/2 years ago. For some reason, I (all of us?) came away from assemblies, Special talks, etc, always nodding and smiling to others and everyone exclaiming WHAT a good talk(s) it was and so forth. It was practically programmed in as we talked about it on the ride home.

I think it's defensive mechanism. I mean..you spend all that time, all that energy, drive a long way, spend money on hotels and what not....you want to feel like it was worth it. Because otherwise...you'd say to yourself ...
    "WTF am I thinking, taking time off work and spending money on this crap". This thought process would lead you down a path your mind wasn't ready for yet. So you "convince" yourself it was a worthy endeavour.

Young People Ask " Why is "Ass" in Assembly? "

• Mary
    Mary

Young People Ask " Why is "Ass" in Assembly?

LOL! No kidding eh? We could also ask the question "Is it just a coincidence that the term "Book Study" has the same initials as cow excrement?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit