Platonic Friendships....

by diamondblue1974 31 Replies latest social relationships

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:As far as I'm concerned Platonic Friendships are only possible with sufficient cold showers and high doses to Salt Peter.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;-)

• franklin J
    franklin J

...after leaving the JWs I had developed a platonic relationship with a girl in college. Being a virgin I still had my JW teachings driving me and I did not "put the moves" on her. After a year of this "platonic friendship" ( like having another "sister" around) she asked me point blank if I was gay; I answered "no" and her response was " why dont you want to sleep with me?" . And we did.

The relationship changed. We no longer had that "friendship" quality; and as "lovers" the relationship did not survive

This happend a second time with another girl with the same results.

This is a very different type of relationship than asking a girl on a date and pursuing her; or having her pursue you. The basis of the relationship is different and subject to different dynamics.

I have come to the conclusion; based on MY experiences, that girls and boys dont get on well as just platonic "friends". It turns into something physical.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Most of my buddies are guys, and about half of my boyfriend's buddies are women. We're both comfortable with this; I trust myself as I trust him, and vice-versa. Within reason, though- no sleepovers allowed!

If I found a man especially attractive, though, I don't think it would feel right to pursue a close friendship with him- it would feel wierd, and it would make my boo uncomfortable, I suppose.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I think it can be done, judiciously of course. But I have no problem with my wife and her former boss having lunch. I have lunch with a female work associate, though we try to make it a group thing when possible. But if others in the group say their plans have changed, she and I will still go. We'll go out a night on occasion too - in group settings only. And yes, she's very attractive.

But here's a thought - why is it that I will only be interested in forming such a friendship with a woman to whom I am attracted physically? I still don't know the answer (do I have a hidden agenda?), but I wouldn't be hanging with this woman if she was unattractive to me.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    But here's a thought - why is it that I will only be interested in forming such a friendship with a woman to whom I am attracted physically? I still don't know the answer (do I have a hidden agenda?), but I wouldn't be hanging with this woman if she was unattractive to me.

Your a dog in denial.

-Elsewhere, of the naugty dog class.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

A woman and a totally gay man can be only friends. That I believe.

With a straight man, the sex thing will always get in the way. Just a matter of time.

DY

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

As a dub, I did think that sex would always be an issue. But now I have a number of male friends I adore but I would never, ever want to sleep with any of them. I didn't think that could be possible, but it is.

Kitties

• Sirona
    Sirona

actually I just remembered that I do have a male friend who I don't see in a sexual way.....he is gay.

Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Kitties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my fair share of friends, regardless of gender.
    All I can say is that "chance should be a fine thing!"
    LOL

I do have the ability to segregate my friends, in my mind.
    Those who are already in relationships are in a box marked "off-limits".
    This HAS been tested.

• Unkle Dug
    Unkle Dug

Yes, I'm a guy and my best friends by far are females, just friends but good ones. BUT, not with JW's. Someone I thought was a very good friend the last two years all the sudden dropped our friendship horribly, she's JW. Her husband says their females aren't allowed to have male friends, only acquaintances. Looking back every JW I've known was nothing but phony. Now I keep a bat next to my door for the next one who drops by. Guess there's some anger issues now huh. But yeah I LOVE platonic friendships, just never again with a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit