Platonic Friendships....

by diamondblue1974 31 Replies latest social relationships

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

There are some conflicting views on this subject; When i was a teenage JW i was friends with someone of the opposite sex and we were the best of mates...nothing sexual, no attraction in that department at all but it was frowned upon by those in the congregation (as you can probably imagine).

My ex wife never believed a man and woman could be just platonic...hence no longer with her...but..now being somewhat older (and a teeny bit wiser ) i have a healthy mix of both male friends and female friends, and personally i believe a man and a woman can be just friends.

What do you think though, do you think a man and woman can be just friends and more importantly has this view been changed since leaving the JW's?

DB

• Mac
    Mac

Sure I do......uh...uh...uh...

in fact, I'm having...uh... uh...uh.....

a platonic relationship right now.............uh..uhhhhh...uhhhh.............

UUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mac
    Mac

Smoke fer me, my babies....

mac, non smoking class

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Mac...please I will have a pint/ounce/gram of whatever your on...

Is there any serious posts for this thread...

• ShadowX
    ShadowX

Of course they can, I personally have a whole bunch of female colleagues at uni, we go to parties, have drinks, meet for coffee, and prepare assignments together and I never think about having sex with any of them, and yes they're all good looking ...

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

The main point is whether your view on this has changed since leaving the witnesess...they tend to view these sorts of things with a great deal of scepticism...usually borne from their own twisted sense of values but nonetheless...the question still remains?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

You can but they are dangerous if they are exclusive to your spouse. If your not married then its fine.

I say its dangerous when married because many marriage vows have been broken in moments of weakness by associating with friends of the opposite sex too intimately. If I was close friends with someone of the opposite sex I would think it wise to involve my wife in that relationship - even if simply to avoid making her feel in any way uncomfortable.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    The main point is whether your view on this has changed since leaving the witnesess...they tend to view these sorts of things with a great deal of scepticism...usually borne from their own twisted sense of values but nonetheless...the question still remains?

I have more female 'just friends' than male 'just friends' because most females I know are smarter than males and I get bored pretty quick with 'hunting, fishing and golfing' stories. I even had more female friends when I was a dub. My ex didn't seem to mind because they were her friends,too. The elders knew I'd tell them to bugger off it they said anything about it.

• Sirona
    Sirona

I honestly think that those who can't have platonic friendships are maladjusted in some way. I include myself in that analysis! No, I can have platonic friendships, but men who I get close to in a friendship sense always seem to become something "more" to me. Maybe its my own warped sense of "friends".

I also can't stand my hub having female friends. No way. Must be a problem I have. Psychiatrist anyone?

Sirona

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

As far as I'm concerned Platonic Friendships are only possible with sufficient cold showers and high doses to Salt Peter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit