Any types of books, authors, etc. you enjoy now that you didn't as a JW?

by littlerockguy 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

oh yes, many. anything by richard dawkins, carl sagan or edward o. wilson. anything to do with biological evolution, religious meme's, or paleoanthropology. these things turn my crank, and it is all a new discovery to me! hot!

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Since I unjaydubbed, I've been enjoying realistic fiction with "spiritistic" themes. And yet I' m not into Charles de Lint

Two notable examples:

gently feral

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    paleoanthropology

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I love to be able to read anything i want, completely guilt-free.

....when i was a teenage dubbie i went through a spiritual crisis and as proof of my great desire to be godly I burned my Mary Stewart Merlin trilogy, my Lord of the Rings trilogy, some sexy sci-fi, and trashed some of my fave music!!!

I still honor myself for sincerely doing what i thought was right at the time but don't think I'll be doing it again anytime soon...

~Merry

• heatherg
    heatherg

Anything I can get my hands. I love to read and growing up a JW my reading material was about nothing. Only the Bible, WT stuff and anything my parents read first, to make sure it was suitable. Now I will read any book you give me and devour it! hg

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Robert Heinlin

ok, wow, did not know we weren't supposed to read Heinlein. Personally, I always read what I wanted, I just kept it hidden. I would go through periods where I felt immensely guilty. So now I just don't feel guilty about it. peace

• Mac
    Mac

As a child brought up in "the truth" I could never truly appreciate nor enjoy the Dick and Jane series of literary classics because of the ambiguity of some of the characters and the ever present antagonism between Sally and Tim...

Now that I'm free from that brain leeching organization I've been bestowed a new found freedom to re-explore those underated gems with new eyes and a feeling of optimism that allows me to embrace even Spot without judgement...

mac, ever erudite class

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

i get to read all the vampire books i wouldn't have really thought about reading back then....but i remember i once got in trouble for reading flowers in the attic.....i don't remember what the reason was but had something to do with i could have been reading a magazine instead of reading that book.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Now I actually have time to read, I never had time to read being tied up with meetings and constant studying. I love to read and when I was not a JW I read all kinds of books.......can't wait to get back to it.

Hope I am not like an elephant that is put on a 6 foot chain and then when let loose still can only go 6 feet away......It will be nice to read page after page without stopping after every paragraph.

purps

• madteach
    madteach

ANNE RICE --- VAMPIRE CHRONICLES

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit