Any types of books, authors, etc. you enjoy now that you didn't as a JW?

by littlerockguy 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I always loved to collect books. If any JW came and looked at my bookshelf now they would turn probably turn white.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

My GOD dude.. EVERYTHING I have now I wasn't allowed to read, listen to or watch. I feel like I've been reborn.

GBL

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I remember one time I had a copy of "The Satanic Verses" at my grandmother's; my uncle (an elder now) found it and freaked and went to my mother's shaking and begging her to talk some sense into me and to destroy that book; I'm like "does he even KNOW what the book is about"? I was never one for censorship.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

E e e e eevil grin :)

The covers are clickable, folks...

gently feral

Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: Catherine Yronwode The Millionaire Next Door: Thomas Stanley & Wm. Danko

The Hero with an African Face : Mythic Wisdom of Traditional Africa: Clyde W. FordThe Spirit and the Flesh: Sexual Diversity in American Indian Culture: Walter L. Williams

• Honesty
    Honesty

All of the sources the WTS quoted from then told us we couldn't read.

Know I know why the WTS didn't want us to read the commentaries, bible dictionaries, etc:.

You will become an apostate.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I read pretty much the same authors & types of books now as I did then. It's just that I no longer have anyone disapproving of my choices ... whether I'm reading Stephen King or Tom Robbins or James Joyce or DH Lawrence.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I love books on Geology, Anthropology and Religious Philosophy. Also love books on Statistical Analysis. I know, what a bore...

J

• Quentin
    Quentin

My reading habits are about the same as well. Back in the day I was a "BIG" SF reader. My dad would gripe about it, but never forbade me to read them.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    I read pretty much the same authors & types of books now as I did then. It's just that I no longer have anyone disapproving of my choices ...

Yup, same here. I read many books on chess, magic tricks and poetry.

• Carmel
    Carmel

I'm with getbusyliving! The whole world of media is my oyster! I devoured books on evolution pro and con for years, then on to poly science, then finally wandered back into the "religion" section of the library. A whole new perspective on life and much more skeptical and descerning after being away from dubbyville for a few years;

carm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit