Did You Hate Meetings and Special Events?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I really HATED "special" programs and events such as a visiting Bethelite giving an extra 1 hour talk after the WT. study. Everyone was expected to stay. If you didn't----you were very much looked down upon. Or having some bigshot come for a weekend and having to rearrange your normal schedule because someone might impart some "new lite"....What about you? Were you all giddy about having the "privilege" of entertaining Watchtower "angels"?

• prophecor
    prophecor

Meetings soon became blase' and it was mostly something I knew I had to do, as for the Glorious Ones, I regarded the hype with all them just that, hype. I was the one who couldn't get a special invite to any of the special functions, the feeding promotions and what, besides, I was always affraid I might embarass the higher ups as my table manners have never been too up to snuff.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Yes especially if I wanted to nod off due to sitting through too many meetings. I didn't want to be looked down on for snoring.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

The meetings were an excercise in the pain of being subjected to mind numbing boredom. I spent my time watching other people and quietly making fun of comments from the speakers.

GBL

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I hated everything about all the meetings, except for one thing. Running a mic allowed me to check out some cleavage. Once they took me off mics there was nothing good about the meetings.

Walter

• minimus
    minimus

Many "mature ones" sit back at meetings and smirkingly criticize everything under their spiritual breath.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Always....

When I quit being a Catholic, I thought great NO MORE MASS (I was an altar boy too).

I went from the frying pan into the fire!

Little did I realize what was coming down the pike.

Never AGAIN!

u/d (of the meetings were like biting tin foil class)

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Not sure hate is the right word.

Loathe maybe better.

My choice was "Sit for 2 hours being bored silly, or hear about not going for those 2 hours from my parents for 15 hours over the course of the week."

I should say 3+ hours, because by the time you got dressed, drove there, got there early enough for a seat, stayed just long enough afterward to make it look like you weren't bolting out, drive home, get undressed.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I hated everything about the meetings. I'd sit and stare at the big sign with the years text written on it, and drift off into la la land.

Whenever we had a visiting speaker, it was no different. There was nothing special about it. I remember one guy from Poland or something who gave a talk, but he had a translator with him and the talk took extra long because the talk was basically told twice. Big whopping poop.

The only thing I miss is the slide shows they used to have every once in a while. I don't think they even do that anymore

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I hate the special events because it turns out to be nothing more than a fashion show when it comes to the sisters.

Everyone's expected to show up in new attire from top to bottom. They all go around checking each other out and giving the appropriate compliments. It's silly, really.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit