Disgusting wasteful behaviour

by Simon 39 Replies latest social current

• morty
    morty
    Now I just program it to have the bread ready for me first thing in the morning when I wake up. Nice smell to wake up to.

I hear ya Walter!!!...

That is nothing but the best thing first in the morning....*insert fresh bread smell*

Problem is, my waist line is showing the winter bread.......time to put the bread maker away for the summer....

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon
    Everyone in my family knows that when I roast a chicken for Sunday dinner, they can expect chicken salad sandwiches for lunch the next day and homemade chicken soup (made in the crockpot) the day after that. If there is more leftover chicken, it's made into a casserole and goes into the freezer for those times when I've got a cluster of night shifts to get through and need to sleep more than I need to cook.

Small family or REALY big chicken?

I love a leftovers sarnie. You can look forward to Monday lunchtime as you tuck into the Sunday roast.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Food is taken for granted by many people. There are many people in this world that don't know what real hunger is.

I have to give credit to our Parents/Grandparents/Great Grandparents who survived World War 1 and World War 2. Food was rationed back in those days (on both sides of the pond). Supplies of Meat, Sugar, Butter, Oil, Coffee and so many other things were scarse or simply not available. But, they learned to make do with what they had. There was VERY LITTLE waste back then. Too many people are spoiled with the amount and choice of food that is readily available today at practically any time.

Personally, I think it is a sin to waste food, especially when there are many Men, Women, and Children in the world today that will go to bed tonight hungry.

It really makes me sick when I see a "food fight" on TV. It shows such a lack of respect for the rest of the world. Makes people look like little spoiled brats.

• Scully
    Scully
    Small family or REALY big chicken?

Average size family, 1 large or 2 small chickens, depending on what's on sale at the supermarket. Also reasonable portion sizes (not restaurant style oversized portions). There's always plenty of leftovers.

Morty!! Don't put your bread maker away!! Use it to make pizza dough on the manual setting. We're going to try making pizza on the BBQ this summer... I saw it done on a cooking show and it looks fantastic!

I agree that the sudden relative affluence of the post-war years triggered a culture of wastefulness after so many years of deep financial depression and having to make due with rations the way our grandparents and great grandparents did. Up until her death in 1987, my grandmother, who was a young girl during the Great Depression, still washed and saved plastic milk bags to re-use in storing food in the freezer. She washed and carefully dried aluminum foil and re-rolled it to use again later. My grandparents were very thrifty frugal people, and they squirrelled away every spare dime they had in savings. When they passed away, these lovely people who lived a very modest humble life, had savings and investments of over $250,000. I think the entire family was shocked to learn their net worth.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Waste not want not, was the saying that I was raised with.

I love my breadmaker!

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Personally, I think it is a sin to waste food, especially when there are many Men, Women, and Children in the world today that will go to bed tonight hungry.

I don't see a connection between the food I eat, store, or throwaway and the fact that someone else I can't reach with it is hungry. If I eat the rest of my sandwich, or I throw it away, it doesn't affect them either way.

Is the thinking that if I didn't waste food, then I'd have more money left over that I could then donate to those in need? The math works out, I'm sure, but the same could be said of taking a different route to work because it saves you five minutes a day. Sure, if you add them all up, you come out with hours of extra time, but since you only get them in five minute increments, you never notice it.

I'm sure I'm tainted by growing up with plenty of food, and I don't lack for it now. There was a few periods of my life when I didn't always have the quality of food available to me that I would have preferred (due to funds) but I don't think I can ever recall going hungry because I just didn't have access to food. Maybe if I'd ever been truly hungry I would feel differently. But I see wasting food as simply wasting the money that paid for it. I pay $1 for a hamburger, eat 70% of it, and throw the rest away. I just chucked 30 cents. No biggee. To someone else it might seem like a biggee, but I can't give it to them so I don't see what difference it makes.

A bakery that has a policy of throwing food away when charity groups would happily pick it up and distribute it sounds wrong, but on the other hand if they gave it away, those that could buy their fresh products might choose not to. Then the bakery loses money and ultimately collapses. They can sell the products at a reduced cost, but those products then compete with their fresh ones, making them wind up with MORE day-old/reduced-price products.

I think there's more to this story than "it's terrible to throw food away". Food is money, it's an economic question as much as a nutrition one.

Dave of the "too naive to understand how naive he is" class

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

It's interesting that in societies where food is worked hard for, and/or rare, people in power i.e. royalty, etc., are overweight as a sign of their affluence.

In societies where there is too much food, the commonor is overweight and the affluent ones are paying money to work out, get surgury, etc., to remain thin. Sad.

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

I think one of the biggest contributing factors when it come to this issue is a lack of discipline. People tend to put too much on their plate ( eyes are bigger than their stomachs ) and even after gourging themselves there is food leftover, which many times gets tossed out. We all know that the more one eats the bigger one's stomach gets; the bigger one's stomach gets the more it takes to fill it up. Sad.

I don't know about the UK but over here in the States everywhere you look there are fat people. I don't know, maybe they're not wasting food, just eating enough for two. Greedy.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

simon have you ever considered studying the bible..i found it helped me to get answers to all my questions and now i have a great hope for a bright future when all these things will be no more

• Simon
    Simon

No thanks. It seems to be 'god followers' who do most to cause all the problems in the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit